Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 August!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 August!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

Recent Additions to Forum's Shop

Author Topic: TSP question  (Read 1083 times)

Offline feltemp68

• Legionary
TSP question
« on: June 27, 2006, 10:29:06 am »
This may be a dumb question, but I am trying to teach myself how to do this whole cleaning thing through other folks' website instructions and don't have the luxury of apprenticing firsthand at an expert's side.  A lot of people say that a solution of TSP powder mixed with hot water is a good thing to clean oil-soaked coins in for 5-10 minutes before scrubbing and I have tried this.  In the mixtures I made, I can never really get the TSP powder to dissolve.  After 30 seconds of stirring the powder in the hot water and the coins, I end up with a little mountain of white powder dropping down to the bottom of the container and covering the coins.  Is this the way it is supposed to act?  Or am I putting too much powder in the water or not getting the water hot enough?

Offline Jerome Holderman

• Caesar
  • My name is Jerome, and I am a coinaholic!
Re: TSP question
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2006, 08:39:16 am »
Hmm... I have not really experienced this, The TSP usually dissolves pretty easily for me. I suspect you may be using to much and exceding the waters saturation point. I use about two teaspoons in 4-6 cups of hot tap water. The water is usually hotter than you could comfortably keep you hands in for more than a second or two.

Hope this helps?
Jerome

All coins are guaranteed for eternity