Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Should I clean this, or not?  (Read 5213 times)

Offline Diederik

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • carpe diem, vita brevis est!
Re: Should I clean this, or not?
« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2006, 02:41:56 pm »
Don't touch the coin otherwise but by soaking it in Dr Gringot's mixture, available by one of our Forum members.
I have a fibula with BD, had to totally strip it (gorgeous surface underneath btw) soaked it for a couple of WEEKS in DR G's and it never gave trouble again.

F.

Offline Mayadigger

• Caesar
  • Romans, lock your wives way!
    • Noble Roman Coins
« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2006, 09:54:16 pm »
Ave!

Other than the bit of BD, the coin is done.

Kevin
"Goodbye, Livia: never forget our marriage!"

Offline Raymond

• Consul
  • I want to be a coinnoisseur
« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2006, 10:10:04 pm »
If this is as good as it gets, I'm kind of disappointed in the coin... Spend more next time, I guess!
Raymond
Raymond
(Tetricus is not a game)

Offline Mayadigger

• Caesar
  • Romans, lock your wives way!
    • Noble Roman Coins
« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2006, 10:38:43 pm »
Ave!

If this is as good as it gets, I'm kind of disappointed in the coin... Spend more next time, I guess!
Raymond

Ray, Pal, Buddy...Dude,

Disappointed? Yours is an excellent and very scarce find. I've had some small amount of experience in sorting through uncleaned coins over the last few years...and I can tell you that I've never found a similar issue as yours. Rather than be disappointed, if I were you, I'd be shouting this discovery to the Gods.

Terrific find, my friend. Try to be humble.  ;D

Best,

Kevin
"Goodbye, Livia: never forget our marriage!"

Offline Raymond

• Consul
  • I want to be a coinnoisseur
« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2006, 12:42:59 pm »
Is there a rule of thumb for how far to brush or scrub a coin?  Probably not - dumb question.  It's just that I've taken a brass bristle brush to a 12 mm coin after soaking it in distilled water and lo and behold, details are appearing and the coin has a nice dark green patina.  I'm afraid of overscrubbing thus revealing more detail but at the price of losing the patina.  Is it possible to get greedy and damage the coin?  Probably, right?

My fingers are stained from the brushing and bleeding from a couple of wayward bristles so I'll return the coin to its distilled water haven and try again in a couple of days with a nylon denture brush.  This type of brush shouldn't affect the patina?

Conclusion: 30 mm coins are easier and less painful on the hands to clean.
Raymond
(Tetricus is not a game)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity