Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet Challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins!!!

Recent Additions to Forum's Shop

Author Topic: Stubborn Turtle  (Read 692 times)

Offline Istinpolin

• Caesar
Stubborn Turtle
« on: June 08, 2006, 10:32:27 pm »
Dear Friends

I would need some advice on how to clean the coin below. It seems like this coin was burnt at some point in time and is dark grey now. I usually can get off most dirt from silver coins but this one is pretty stubborn.

Any help would be appreciated.

Best wishes and thanks
Burak

Ghengis_Jon

Re: Stubborn Turtle
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2006, 07:49:06 am »
If you want the toning intact, it will a bit of a challenge.  I'd soak in a mild soapy water, rinse, and use a funnel shaped coarse paper tip on a rotary tool, coin in a padded vise, under magnification.  But that coin looks pretty nice as it is.   What denomination is it?

Offline Istinpolin

• Caesar
Re: Stubborn Turtle
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2006, 09:54:14 am »
Hi

Thanks for your help.

As for the denomination. I am not too sure yet. I am trying to figure it out. The weight is 9.1g and the size it 12x21mm.

So i assume it is an AR stater Aigina. But whats the date 482-480BC

Thanks again Burak

All coins are guaranteed for eternity