Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Mineral (baby) oil vs. olive?  (Read 3148 times)

Offline feltemp68

• Legionary
Mineral (baby) oil vs. olive?
« on: May 22, 2006, 06:59:44 pm »
I am new to collecting (about a month) and I have seen a thread started similar to this one but never saw a definitive response.  The "mass produced" kit of old coins that I first bought recommended mineral (baby) oil over olive oil, it seems primarily because the author perceived that the olive oil causes the coins to darken.  I saw responses on here saying that olive oil was fine to use on coins and there was no darkening, but I never saw any response on the relative merits of mineral oil.

Has anybody actually used mineral oil and compared the results to olive or other oils?  I used mineral oil to start mine per the directions on my kit, but I am thinking about starting a comparison group in olive oil.

Offline Carolus Magnus

• Praetorian
Re: Mineral (baby) oil vs. olive?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2006, 10:35:10 pm »
Olive oil is slightly acidic, so it will clean faster. Mineral oil will also soften dirt and encrustations, but over a longer time frame. As far as darkening coins, olive oil will definatly do this over a long period of time. I personally like the result. Others may not.............. Chuck T

All coins are guaranteed for eternity