Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: New to uncleans, could this be silvered?  (Read 1400 times)

Offline Laomedan

• Legionary
New to uncleans, could this be silvered?
« on: May 19, 2006, 01:22:25 pm »
Hi everyone,
This is my first post on this site and just let me say that you are amazing. I have seen many pics that look like worn out slugs but you guys seem to know exactly what it is, no problem. Anyway, i got this coin in an uncleaned lot. I soaked it in distilled water and it looked like it had silver pecks coming through. when I took the coin out of the water it dried and i could not tell if the specks are silver or some kind of white patina. the bust on the coin has an emperor wearing a pointed crown and the reverse has a center figure with two other figures on either side. my question is can any of you tell if it is silvered and how should I clean it? Any help would be great, thanks.

Offline Carolus Magnus

• Praetorian
Re: New to uncleans, could this be silvered?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2006, 10:48:16 pm »
Hard to say from your photo's, What is the size in mm, and weight?............ Chuck T

Offline Vitruvius

• Consul
  • Learn from the past to build our future.
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2006, 11:00:29 pm »
Hmm...it's a possibility.  Anyway to improve (lighten) the photo??

Offline Laomedan

• Legionary
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2006, 03:06:16 am »
Thanks for the help guys. I have rescaned and lightened the images. they are reposted in the first post. (trying not to take up too much space!). The coin is 14mm in diameter. I don't have a scale to get the weight, sorry. There is a hole in the bust that shows copper or bronze.   

Offline Vitruvius

• Consul
  • Learn from the past to build our future.
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2006, 09:39:44 pm »
Laomedan,

Looks like this coin might be silvered in a few spots on the obverse and almost all around the reverse edge in various spots.  Good find!  Take your time and be patient.  I personally use lots of distilled water soaks and nylon brush.  I have used a soft brass brush as well, but be careful!  I barely apply any pressure and only brush for 10 to 15 seconds at a time.  i have done this with silvered with good results, along with using my trusty dental pick!! ;D

Remember, the slow worker wins this race ;)  I posted some tips here on Forum:

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=26242.0

Enjoy!

All coins are guaranteed for eternity