Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 August!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 August!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

Recent Additions to Forum's Shop

Author Topic: New to uncleans, could this be silvered?  (Read 1133 times)

Offline Laomedan

• Legionary
New to uncleans, could this be silvered?
« on: May 19, 2006, 01:22:25 pm »
Hi everyone,
This is my first post on this site and just let me say that you are amazing. I have seen many pics that look like worn out slugs but you guys seem to know exactly what it is, no problem. Anyway, i got this coin in an uncleaned lot. I soaked it in distilled water and it looked like it had silver pecks coming through. when I took the coin out of the water it dried and i could not tell if the specks are silver or some kind of white patina. the bust on the coin has an emperor wearing a pointed crown and the reverse has a center figure with two other figures on either side. my question is can any of you tell if it is silvered and how should I clean it? Any help would be great, thanks.

Offline Carolus Magnus

• Praetorian
Re: New to uncleans, could this be silvered?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2006, 10:48:16 pm »
Hard to say from your photo's, What is the size in mm, and weight?............ Chuck T

Offline Vitruvius

• Consul
  • Learn from the past to build our future.
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2006, 11:00:29 pm »
Hmm...it's a possibility.  Anyway to improve (lighten) the photo??

Offline Laomedan

• Legionary
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2006, 03:06:16 am »
Thanks for the help guys. I have rescaned and lightened the images. they are reposted in the first post. (trying not to take up too much space!). The coin is 14mm in diameter. I don't have a scale to get the weight, sorry. There is a hole in the bust that shows copper or bronze.   

Offline Vitruvius

• Consul
  • Learn from the past to build our future.
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2006, 09:39:44 pm »
Laomedan,

Looks like this coin might be silvered in a few spots on the obverse and almost all around the reverse edge in various spots.  Good find!  Take your time and be patient.  I personally use lots of distilled water soaks and nylon brush.  I have used a soft brass brush as well, but be careful!  I barely apply any pressure and only brush for 10 to 15 seconds at a time.  i have done this with silvered with good results, along with using my trusty dental pick!! ;D

Remember, the slow worker wins this race ;)  I posted some tips here on Forum:

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=26242.0

Enjoy!

All coins are guaranteed for eternity