Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Florian - ANNIVS, SALVS PVBLI  (Read 1979 times)

Offline maridvnvm

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Florian - ANNIVS, SALVS PVBLI
« on: May 02, 2006, 06:10:05 pm »
Hi everyone,
Does anyone have any references or additional information for the following coin:-

Florian Ant.
Obv:IMP M ANNIVS FLORIANVS AVG, Radiate, cuirassed bust right
Rev:– SALVS PVBLI, Salus standing right, feeding serpent held in arms
Minted in Ticinum (//T)
Reference:– Cohen -. RIC -.

Unlisted in RIC near 93 with Bust type F (Unlisted with this obverse legend in RIC)

Any help or information would be gratefully received.

I am also attempting some new imaging techniques so any comments on the images I post from now on are most welcome too (positive and negative!).
Regards,
Martin

Offline curtislclay

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: Florian - ANNIVS, SALVS PVBLI
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2006, 06:44:20 pm »
Estiot, Paris cat., pp. 336-7, does not record this obv. legend with cuirassed bust in this issue.
The BM has a coin just like yours but with bust draped and cuirassed, according to her.
Curtis Clay

Offline maridvnvm

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2006, 06:46:53 pm »
Wow,
Many thanks Curtis. I thought it might be scarce but not that scarce. I had been looking for an ANNIVS legend example that I could afford for seom time. This one will suit just fine.
Regards,
Martin

Offline curtislclay

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2006, 12:56:08 am »
Your coin would be a sharp, attractive VF if you mechanically removed all of the light-colored deposits. 
Are you an adept of such painstaking work with scalpel and binocular microscope?
Curtis Clay

Offline wolfgang336

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Aut Caesar Aut Nullus
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2006, 01:51:01 am »
Great pictures and great coin. I must diagree with Curtis however, as I feel the coin is more attractive with the sandy patina than it could be without it. The deposit on the nose however, is a bit of a detractor, and I wonder if it could be removed without damaging the underlying patina?

Evan

Offline maridvnvm

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2006, 04:43:43 am »
Your coin would be a sharp, attractive VF if you mechanically removed all of the light-colored deposits. 
Are you an adept of such painstaking work with scalpel and binocular microscope?
I am unfortunately not very adept at such work, much more of a brute force and ignorance man I am afraid. I will have to decide whether this is a keeper or not and if not to make sure it goes somewhere where they can take on the work needed.
The nose deposit is unsightly but I must admit I am in two minds about the other light deposits.
Regards,
Martin

Offline curtislclay

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2006, 01:05:46 pm »
Martin,
     Sell it to me and I'll clean it and repost so the group can approve or disapprove!
Curtis Clay

Offline wolfgang336

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Aut Caesar Aut Nullus
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2006, 02:07:01 am »
I'd like to hear some more opinions on this piece and possible cleaning... can a mod please move this thread to the uncleaned area?

Evan

Offline areich

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2006, 06:50:54 am »
I personally see this more as 'dirt' than 'sandy patina', maybe because it looks so uneven or because the grains are too big?
I would vote for cleaning (if this was a vote).

Attached a FEL TEMP of mine that i feel has a nice sandy patina and would not be half as nice without.

Andreas
Andreas Reich

Offline wolfgang336

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Aut Caesar Aut Nullus
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2006, 10:26:59 pm »
Try rubbing it between your fingers. The oil will bring out the green and darken the dirt/sand a bit.

Evan

All coins are guaranteed for eternity