Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Florian - ANNIVS, SALVS PVBLI  (Read 1980 times)

Offline maridvnvm

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Florian - ANNIVS, SALVS PVBLI
« on: May 02, 2006, 06:10:05 pm »
Hi everyone,
Does anyone have any references or additional information for the following coin:-

Florian Ant.
Obv:IMP M ANNIVS FLORIANVS AVG, Radiate, cuirassed bust right
Rev:– SALVS PVBLI, Salus standing right, feeding serpent held in arms
Minted in Ticinum (//T)
Reference:– Cohen -. RIC -.

Unlisted in RIC near 93 with Bust type F (Unlisted with this obverse legend in RIC)

Any help or information would be gratefully received.

I am also attempting some new imaging techniques so any comments on the images I post from now on are most welcome too (positive and negative!).
Regards,
Martin

Offline curtislclay

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: Florian - ANNIVS, SALVS PVBLI
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2006, 06:44:20 pm »
Estiot, Paris cat., pp. 336-7, does not record this obv. legend with cuirassed bust in this issue.
The BM has a coin just like yours but with bust draped and cuirassed, according to her.
Curtis Clay

Offline maridvnvm

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2006, 06:46:53 pm »
Wow,
Many thanks Curtis. I thought it might be scarce but not that scarce. I had been looking for an ANNIVS legend example that I could afford for seom time. This one will suit just fine.
Regards,
Martin

Offline curtislclay

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2006, 12:56:08 am »
Your coin would be a sharp, attractive VF if you mechanically removed all of the light-colored deposits. 
Are you an adept of such painstaking work with scalpel and binocular microscope?
Curtis Clay

Offline wolfgang336

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Aut Caesar Aut Nullus
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2006, 01:51:01 am »
Great pictures and great coin. I must diagree with Curtis however, as I feel the coin is more attractive with the sandy patina than it could be without it. The deposit on the nose however, is a bit of a detractor, and I wonder if it could be removed without damaging the underlying patina?

Evan

Offline maridvnvm

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2006, 04:43:43 am »
Your coin would be a sharp, attractive VF if you mechanically removed all of the light-colored deposits. 
Are you an adept of such painstaking work with scalpel and binocular microscope?
I am unfortunately not very adept at such work, much more of a brute force and ignorance man I am afraid. I will have to decide whether this is a keeper or not and if not to make sure it goes somewhere where they can take on the work needed.
The nose deposit is unsightly but I must admit I am in two minds about the other light deposits.
Regards,
Martin

Offline curtislclay

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2006, 01:05:46 pm »
Martin,
     Sell it to me and I'll clean it and repost so the group can approve or disapprove!
Curtis Clay

Offline wolfgang336

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Aut Caesar Aut Nullus
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2006, 02:07:01 am »
I'd like to hear some more opinions on this piece and possible cleaning... can a mod please move this thread to the uncleaned area?

Evan

Offline areich

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2006, 06:50:54 am »
I personally see this more as 'dirt' than 'sandy patina', maybe because it looks so uneven or because the grains are too big?
I would vote for cleaning (if this was a vote).

Attached a FEL TEMP of mine that i feel has a nice sandy patina and would not be half as nice without.

Andreas
Andreas Reich

Offline wolfgang336

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Aut Caesar Aut Nullus
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2006, 10:26:59 pm »
Try rubbing it between your fingers. The oil will bring out the green and darken the dirt/sand a bit.

Evan

All coins are guaranteed for eternity