Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Round 8 - mjraica  (Read 2313 times)

Offline Matthew Raica

• Praetorian
Round 8 - mjraica
« on: April 10, 2006, 08:10:19 pm »
I just received my coins today.  Please excuse the scans, I am not sure how they are going to come out.  These are my first attempt at scanning, so I hope they are acceptable.  I can tell you right now I don't believe I'll be able to do anything with the silver, but the others should be attributable.  Take it easy on me, I've only been into this hobby for a few months now!

stickman

Re: mjraica's coins- round 8?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2006, 10:00:08 pm »
Welcome to the contest....
Your scans are very good...
Good luck and happy cleaning!

Offline Matthew Raica

• Praetorian
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2006, 11:03:36 pm »
These certainly aren't going to be easy; the patina on them are very fragile, oil soaks and brushes may be the extent of my cleaning choices, with the occasional toothpick.  My first silver and campgate in the same order!

Offline Matthew Raica

• Praetorian
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2006, 11:22:37 pm »
I'm afraid I must throw in the towel.  My novice skills are no match.  The extremely delicate patina on these coins is coming off with merely scrubbing with a toothbrush. Some of these coins have a lot of potential( the silvering coming through on #2 is amazing!)  But I do not want to risk damaging the coins any further.  Maybe one day when my skills have improved I can finish them safely. I will submit my best guesses at attribution and beg the wife for more money to order another round.  We'll see what kind of attitude she is in when she gets home from work.  Going from left to right, top row first:

1. Absolutely no idea

2. Once again, no clue

3. Constantius II AD 324-361 AE3  Obv: FL IVL CONSTANTIVS NOB C - Laureate bust left,   draped and cuirassed. Rev: PROVIDEN-TIAE CAESS - Two turrets and a star over Campgate. Exe: (dot) \ SMH (gamma) Heraclea mint

4. Don't have a real good idea, just going by a general idea of the design: D N CONSTAN-TIVS P F AVG; diademed, draped & cuirassed bust right / FEL TEMP REPARATIO, soldier spearing falling enemy horseman, I believe the mint mark is SMNA, making it from Nicomedia

5. Constantine the Great AE3. AD 330-335. CONSTANTINVS MAX AVG, diademed, draped & cuirassed bust right / GLORIA EXERCITVS, two soldiers standing inward facing two standards between them, holding spears & shields, SMNA in exNicomedia mint

6. Again, not real clear, but definately at a minimum:  D N CONSTAN-TIVS P F AVG; diademed, draped & cuirassed bust right / FEL TEMP REPARATIO, soldier spearing falling enemy horseman

Well, this will be my final on these coins.  I got my attribution info off of Wildwinds.com if it looks familiar.  If anyone has a better idea on attributions please, the knowledge would be appreciated.  Even with the frustration, still great fun!

Online Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
Re: mjraica's coins final
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2006, 08:26:09 pm »
Number 1 is a Celtic drachm struck with very worn dies.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Matthew Raica

• Praetorian
Re: Round 8 - mjraica
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2006, 10:53:06 pm »
How can you tell, if I may ask?  I have absolutely no knowledge beyond basic romans, so I had no clue.  A very interesting coin!

AncientCoins

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2006, 08:55:51 am »
# 2 looks like a Probus antoninianus, but I'm not sure of the reverse.  Maybe one of the antoninianii with Sol in a chariot?

Andrew

Offline Matthew Raica

• Praetorian
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2006, 04:16:38 pm »
Wow, I just realized how horribly aligned those coins are!  My apologies!

Online Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2006, 08:19:54 pm »
How can you tell, if I may ask? I have absolutely no knowledge beyond basic romans, so I had no clue. A very interesting coin!

I can tell because the fabric is slightly cup shaped and there are traces of the design.  Perhaps the biggest clue for me is that the group it came in included a dozen or so Celtic drachm with similar fabric
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Matthew Raica

• Praetorian
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2006, 08:53:29 pm »
Thanks Joe!

All coins are guaranteed for eternity