Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet Challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins!!!

Recent Additions to Forum's Shop

Author Topic: Is this City Comm done? Maybe not...  (Read 1017 times)

Offline Vitruvius

• Consul
  • Learn from the past to build our future.
Is this City Comm done? Maybe not...
« on: March 26, 2006, 09:07:26 pm »
I've fully attributed this coin but I'm wondering...is this done?  Should I continue soaking in DW?  Also, what is that red on the coin?  Corrosion? Bronze disease?  Any help is appreciated.

Arnulf

Re: Is this City Comm done? Maybe not...
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2006, 10:42:22 pm »
This looks to me like there is still a bit of dirt remaining on the top half of the obverse and the lower half of the reverse.  I would stick with distilled water and a gentle toothbrushing to loosen it up some more.  I think you may very well run into some encrustations on the bottom of the obverse that may not wish to part very easily....though I'd wait until you've exposed more of the original patina before deciding how to procede.

Hope this helps,
Chris

p.s.  There are many more experienced than I on this board who could probably offer more solid advice as to this coin and the silvered one in your other post.  Since no one else had replied, I thought I would give it a try.  Best of luck!

Offline Vitruvius

• Consul
  • Learn from the past to build our future.
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2006, 06:27:39 am »
Thanks for the advice, arnulf!

I appreciate it :)

exquisiteoaf

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2006, 03:35:58 pm »
I'm no expert either, but I can tell you the red stuff isn't bronze disease. It's just another form of encrustation you see on bronze sometimes. In my experience it's quite hard, both literally and in terms of the effort required to remove it.

I don't think your coin has bronze disease anywhere, but it's hard to tell for sure. Those light green patches below Roma's ear on the obverse, and in the upper part of the reverse could be bronze disease, but I don't think they are. If you want to test to see if it is bronze disease, you can brush down the patches in question, then wet your finger and touch those areas. Then leave the coin sit for a day or two, and if you when you check on it again those areas have "fluffed up", it's bronze disease. Bronze disease is also easy to scrape off with your fingernail, but so are some types of patinas.

Mike

All coins are guaranteed for eternity