Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Is it Silvered? What now?  (Read 1210 times)

Offline Vitruvius

• Consul
  • Learn from the past to build our future.
Is it Silvered? What now?
« on: March 20, 2006, 10:57:57 pm »
Hello,

I'm wondering if that's some silvering poking through. If it is, what now?  Can I still soak it in distilled, or try another approach?

I would be grateful for any help...

Offline Vitruvius

• Consul
Re: Is it Silvered? What now?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2006, 11:46:05 pm »
Here's another look after more scrubbing.  Pretty sure it's silvered...any ideas?

Arnulf

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2006, 10:36:37 pm »
Hi Vitruvius...

Do you have a soft-bristled brass brush...the kind that attaches to a battery-powered dremel?  If so, under running water, brush the surface of the coin with the SBBB at an angle...and ever so softly...so that the bristles are barely knocking against the coin.  This should help knock most of the dirt off and polish up what silvering remains.  Afterwards, any crud that's left can be mechanically cleaned away (carefully...you don't want to scratch off any of the remaining silver or pry up any loose patina) with a diamond-dusted dental pick.  When all the dirt has been removed, use the SBBB again and you should have a very satisfactory piece.

If at any point you find the silvering coming off, you may wish to stop and weigh the risks of further cleaning.

Hope this helps.
Chris

Offline Vitruvius

• Consul
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2006, 09:19:13 am »
Thank you for the advice, Arnulf.  I'm finally investing in a Dremel with the necessary attachments. It's time to get serious! 

Gratias

V

All coins are guaranteed for eternity