Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet Challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins!!!

Recent Additions to Forum's Shop

Author Topic: Advice on cleaning Probus  (Read 1330 times)

Offline Robin Ayers

• Caesar
  • Ms. arizonarobin :)
Advice on cleaning Probus
« on: March 08, 2006, 01:34:13 am »
I have had this one in distilled soaks and gentle brushing but Im not sure if I should just stop or if it can be improved.  There appears to be silvering over quite a bit of it but my experience with cleaning these type has not always been so good:-X  Any advice would be appreciated- Also is that BD at 8 o'clock on the obverse? It doesn't seem powder like- but it looks suspect.

~Robin

exquisiteoaf

Re: Advice on cleaning Probus
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2006, 08:19:43 pm »
Assuming that's not bronze disease, I would leave the coin alone. I tend to favor slight under-cleaning over even the slightest possibility of over-cleaning, though. I don't think the green is bronze disease, but can you scrape it off easily with your fingernail? If so, it might be. Apparently you can wet your fingertip , rub the moisture on the green spot, and if it "fluffs up" over a day or so, it is indeed bronze disease.

By the way, it's a nice coin! Probus seems to have an espescially large nose in his picture.

Mike

Offline Robin Ayers

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2006, 12:03:24 am »
Thank you Mike! I think I will leave it- I will probably do more damage trying to make it better.  :) 

He does seem to have a bit of a nose on him- hadn't really noticed it before- what I like on this is the shield having the little man on horse at the top.  :)  even though he isn't in my collecting area I might have to put him in the "zoo" section

exquisiteoaf

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2006, 08:54:18 am »
Thank you Mike! I think I will leave it- I will probably do more damage trying to make it better.  :) 

He does seem to have a bit of a nose on him- hadn't really noticed it before- what I like on this is the shield having the little man on horse at the top.  :)  even though he isn't in my collecting area I might have to put him in the "zoo" section

I didn't notice that on the shield. There can be some cool details on these coins sometimes!

Don't forget to check on whether that's truly bronze disease or not before you put the coin away and possibly forget to check on it...it would be a shame if that stuff spread.

Mike

virtvsprobi

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2006, 02:31:53 pm »
what I like on this is the shield having the little man on horse at the top.

That little man on the horse, is the man with the big nose himself, in front of some troops.

http://probvs.info/probvs/R904/R904.html

G/<

Offline Robin Ayers

• Caesar
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2006, 03:08:23 pm »
Those are all a much nicer style than mine - for the longest time I thought it was a rabbit  ;D

All coins are guaranteed for eternity