Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet Challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins!!!

Recent Additions to Forum's Shop

Author Topic: uncleaned Athene tetradrachm  (Read 1161 times)

Offline samwyi

• Praetorian
  • I love this forum!
uncleaned Athene tetradrachm
« on: March 04, 2006, 04:14:59 pm »

Just bought an uncleaned Athene tetradrachm with thick and even brown patina, do you guys think I should clean it further?

sam

ember

Re: uncleaned Athene tetradrachm
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2006, 06:50:45 pm »
Hi,

I would leave it alone.  Mechanical cleaning of silver coins is any easy way to ruin them, and I can't see any benefits from chemically cleaning yours.  It's nice as is. :)

Darcy

stickman

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2006, 07:25:36 pm »
I don't think that I would clean it further either, but I guess that is a matter of personal taste.

I for one would be more concerned with the authenticity, although I know nothing of this type of coin, I do know that it is one of the most copied coins out there. 
I would never buy one myself unless it came from a trusted dealer, like FORVM for example.

AncientCoins

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2006, 09:50:01 pm »
Could this coin be a cast fake?  It looks like there are casting bubbles on the coin.  Also, the style of the obverse portrait doesn't look like the other example I have seen. Can we have some more opinions?

Andrew

jesse

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2006, 11:18:53 am »
I might agree with andrew but if it isn't fake its a nice coin keep it as it is. 

Regards,Jesse

Offline samwyi

• Praetorian
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2006, 10:47:50 am »
Thanks for the helps, friends.

Andrew and Jesse:

I'm not quite familiar with Athenes. But the bubbles you mentioned seem to be small clump of rust. I'll see if I can clean it or not. I found a similar coin on wildwinds. Do you think they are the same style?

regards,
sam

Offline samwyi

• Praetorian
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2006, 08:22:13 pm »
The color in this image is more natural:

Offline AlexB

• Caesar
  • The meek shall inherit the earth..so buy a meek
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2006, 08:53:44 pm »
Not fake - is just horn silver.

AlexB
'Never has so much been owed, to so many, by so few' - Mervyn King, Governor, Bank of England, 20th Oct 2009

All coins are guaranteed for eternity