Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Tooled Legion III NGC Slabbed ?  (Read 414 times)

Offline Ken W2

• Consul
Tooled Legion III NGC Slabbed ?
« on: May 23, 2022, 09:05:01 pm »

Hello all: I’ve been working on a low-mid grade collection of Marc Antony’s Legionary issues.  All NGC slabbed so far.  I’d rather be able to touch the coin, but until I can find some with dealers I know (like here on FORVM) I feel safer buying third party authenticated coins. Bought this Legion III at auction recently.  NGC grades it VG and notes bankers marks and scratches. I understand NGC won’t grade a tooled coin.  But note the area around the III and compare the wear (or possibly clogged die strike) in the lower portion of the standard to the right.  Under 10X the III appears a little incuse, but can’t tell for sure through the plastic. Any real concern about tooling here or am I just being paranoid?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Ken

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
Re: Tooled Legion III NGC Slabbed ?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2022, 09:25:35 pm »
Perfectly legitimate. I had a similar concern years ago.  Take a look here:

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=70907.25

Offline Ken W2

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2022, 09:53:52 pm »

Thanks Jay.  I’m still learning.  I’d read the other thread about relative rarity among the  Legionary issues, but somehow missed the thread you forwarded. I have 11 so far, all common unless a XXIII counts as a little tough.  I’m thinking 27 are reasonably acquirable taking into account availability and affordability— II through XXIII, the 2 cohort coins, and the XII, XVII, and XVIII conomen issues. Thanks again. 
Ken

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2022, 09:58:14 pm »
It's a great series to collect.  Few have completed it!  I took a break from Antony to collect Flavians, but I'm always on the lookout for new legions or to upgrade.  Good coins always sell for a premium, especially with full clear legends.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity