Antiquities Discussion Forums > Fibulae and Clothing Items

ID for Zoomorphic brooch, please

<< < (2/3) > >>

Renate H:
"100%"  is a term that always makes me suspicious. I don't think it's that simple. In Eastern Europe (between the south-eastern Baltic Sea area, east of the Carpathians and the Black Sea) there was a travelling elite in the time of question who used all kinds of elements they came across for their jewellery. These were combined and the pieces copied by the local population. I find elements of other brooches in it, see the comparison in the picture attached. Especially the left brooch with the triangular shape between the bird heads is interesting in this context.

n0x

sources:
Fiedler, Uwe (2010): Die slawischen Bügelfibeln von Joachim Werners Gruppe I. In Andrei Măgureanu, Erwin Gáll (Eds.): Între stepă şi imperiu. Studii în onoarea lui Radu Harhoiu = Between the Steppe and the empire. With assistance of Radu Harhoiu. Bucureşti: Ed. Renaissance, pp. 225–252. https://www.academia.edu/502860/INTRE_STEPA_SI_IMPERIU_ZWISCHEN_DER_STEPPE_UND_DEM_REICH_BETWEEN_THE_STEPPE_AND_THE_EMPIRE-CONTENTS
GRASSI Museum für Angewandte Kunst Leipzig https://sachsen.museum-digital.de/index.php?t=objekt&oges=4295&navlang=en
Curta, Florin (2012): The Jägala fibula revisited, or remarks on Werner’s class II D. In Estonian J. Archaeol. 16 (1), p. 26. DOI: 10.3176/arch.2012.1.02.

SC:
You are right of course Nox - nothing is 100%.

The triangular head plate matches the Vyškov Germanic type - though not the rectangular part.  Still trying to track down that.

The Vyškov, and the related but kurbschnitt-decorated Prša-Levice type, date circa the late 5th century.

This particular fibula comes from eastern Slavonia which at that time was on the borders of the Ostrogothic Kingdom and the Gepidic "Kingdom".

The item is certainly eastern Germanic.

SC

Renate H:
I also assume an East Germanic influence. Anyway, the piece is interesting. It's too bad that the place where it was found is not known (Mayadigger would certainly not have concealed it if he knew), then it would be a really exciting piece.

n0x

SC:
Eastern Slavonia.

SC

Mayadigger:
Ave!

Eastern Slavonia...? Ha Ha!

Let's simply go with Roman Pannonia Inferior.  :police:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page