Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: ID for Zoomorphic brooch, please  (Read 1176 times)

Offline Mayadigger

• Caesar
  • Romans, lock your wives way!
    • Noble Roman Coins
ID for Zoomorphic brooch, please
« on: August 25, 2021, 02:56:15 pm »
Ave!

Copper alloy; 32mm/4.7gm

Attachment clasp broken, otherwise, about as fabricated? Residual amounts of original enameling

Just guessing but it looks a bit like late Celtic, what with the two birds heads...?

Help!
"Goodbye, Livia: never forget our marriage!"

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
Re: ID for Zoomorphic brooch, please
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2021, 09:26:14 pm »
Actually late Germanic - Gepidic to be specific.

But it appears to be broken with the triangular head and rectangular mid-body plate present but the long rhomboid/pointed foot missing/broken off.

Shawn
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Renate H

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2021, 02:54:20 am »
I think it may be complete. Do you have a side view, please? Interesting method for having pin tension! I never saw that before. It's enamelled, which was not made in western Europe at that time. I suppose it's from the area between Black sea and Baltic sea, perhaps Ukraine or something (and I promise to add the article on East European champleve enamelled brooches to the Numiswiki that is already in the making).

Offline SC

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2021, 09:29:45 am »
Gepidic brooches are found from Ukraine to northern Serbia.  Enamel-ware is rare but no unheard of, but the triangular head with three-bird promotes is 100% Gepid.

If you search Gepid brooches they are almost entirely variations of "blech" (Germanic plate) brooches which all have the long foot.

SC

SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Mayadigger

• Caesar
    • Noble Roman Coins
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2021, 01:47:25 pm »
Thank you gentlemen!

+++

Renate H

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2021, 02:04:53 am »
"100%"  is a term that always makes me suspicious. I don't think it's that simple. In Eastern Europe (between the south-eastern Baltic Sea area, east of the Carpathians and the Black Sea) there was a travelling elite in the time of question who used all kinds of elements they came across for their jewellery. These were combined and the pieces copied by the local population. I find elements of other brooches in it, see the comparison in the picture attached. Especially the left brooch with the triangular shape between the bird heads is interesting in this context.

n0x

sources:
Fiedler, Uwe (2010): Die slawischen Bügelfibeln von Joachim Werners Gruppe I. In Andrei Măgureanu, Erwin Gáll (Eds.): Între stepă şi imperiu. Studii în onoarea lui Radu Harhoiu = Between the Steppe and the empire. With assistance of Radu Harhoiu. Bucureşti: Ed. Renaissance, pp. 225–252. https://www.academia.edu/502860/INTRE_STEPA_SI_IMPERIU_ZWISCHEN_DER_STEPPE_UND_DEM_REICH_BETWEEN_THE_STEPPE_AND_THE_EMPIRE-CONTENTS
GRASSI Museum für Angewandte Kunst Leipzig https://sachsen.museum-digital.de/index.php?t=objekt&oges=4295&navlang=en
Curta, Florin (2012): The Jägala fibula revisited, or remarks on Werner’s class II D. In Estonian J. Archaeol. 16 (1), p. 26. DOI: 10.3176/arch.2012.1.02.

Offline SC

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2021, 07:46:10 am »
You are right of course Nox - nothing is 100%.

The triangular head plate matches the Vyškov Germanic type - though not the rectangular partStill trying to track down that.

The Vyškov, and the related but kurbschnitt-decorated Prša-Levice type, date circa the late 5th century.

This particular fibula comes from eastern Slavonia which at that time was on the borders of the Ostrogothic Kingdom and the Gepidic "Kingdom".

The item is certainly eastern Germanic.

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Renate H

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2021, 08:33:21 am »
I also assume an East Germanic influence. Anyway, the piece is interesting. It's too bad that the place where it was found is not known (Mayadigger would certainly not have concealed it if he knew), then it would be a really exciting piece.

n0x

Offline SC

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2021, 09:16:23 am »
Eastern Slavonia.

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Mayadigger

• Caesar
    • Noble Roman Coins
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2021, 11:25:56 am »
Ave!

Eastern Slavonia...? Ha Ha!

Let's simply go with Roman Pannonia Inferior.  :police:

Renate H

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2021, 04:28:12 am »
The question of what is gothic and what is not has long been a concern of archaeology, and I cannot solve it. A short statement on this can be found in Georgiev, Peter (2019): Стара Велика България. (The Old Great Bulgaria), page 151. At that time, enamelling was no longer done on Roman territory, glass paste was used from time to time. That's why I suspect that the piece comes from the Barbaricum.  I have been interested in this subject for a long time, and I am curious to see if I can find comparative pieces of this type of brooch (bow brooch with champleve enamel on the foot and head plate) at some point.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity