Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Interesting Bulk Coin Find  (Read 456 times)

Offline VOTman

• Praetorian
Interesting Bulk Coin Find
« on: July 28, 2021, 10:00:27 pm »
I wanted to share this coin that I won in a bulk coin lot that cost $3 each (which of course also came with duds).  It's an AE23 at 5.2g.

Unusual Item #1 - The coin Emperor is Aemilian who ruled for just 3 months in 253AD.  According to the Comparative Rarity Table as published in ERIC II, this emperor is number 126 (with number 1 being most common).  This makes the coin my most scarce emperor so far.

Unusual Item #2 - Check the very end of the obverse legend, IMP C M AEM AEMILLIANO AVG.  The engraver ran out of space.  To fit the "o" he parked it higher up to squeeze in the "A" for "AVG".  But then with no more room for the "VG" he parked those letters some distance away under the bust.  We've all seen a lot of "AVG"s but I've never seen one like this.

Offline BiancasDad

• Caesar
Re: Interesting Bulk Coin Find
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2021, 10:22:25 am »
Nice find Ken!

If you search "aemilian antiochi" on acsearch you'll find several examples that have the same rendering for the obverse legend.

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2021, 12:52:30 pm »
Krzyzanowska lists 12 coins of Aemilian at Antioch in Pisidia, all from the same obv. die as yours, and five rev. dies.
Curtis Clay

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2021, 07:56:42 pm »
Nice coin.

Aemilian became Emperor in Moesia - modern northern Bulgaria.

You have wonder if he was still alive when this coin was struck given time for the news to travel from northern Bulgaria to southern Turkey, for city officials to decide to strike a coin and for it to be engraved and struck.

It was certainly possible to do all this within less than three months but also possible the coin was being struck after he died but before word reached Pisidia from northern Italy where he died.

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity