Ancient Coin Discussions In Other Languages > Forum numizmatyki antycznej po polsku

Galeriusz czy Maksymian Herkuliusz

<< < (2/2)

Heliodromus:
I only just realized you were posting about the GENIO fraction, not the follis! I agree that these are all Maximianus (and same argument for short legend - small flan plus no ambiguity).

The combination of Constantine CAES and IMP Maximianus (but not DN) legends on same issue for all these fractions (VOTIS + GENOI) is interesting. At Lyons Maximianus's legend is changed from DN to IMP at same time as Constantine's changes from CAES to AVG (in GENIO altar + N issue), so I assume the timing is roughly the same at Trier and London.

These fractions, combining Constantine CAES with IMP Maximianus seem to have been issued right at that transition point, unless the ones for Maximianus were issued a bit later than those for Constantine.

Ben

Lech Stępniewski:
The obverse legend IMP MAXIMIANVS IVN AVG introduced in Lugdunum seems to be a very clear distinction and is short and convenient. I wonder why they did not use it universally in the domain of Constantine. Maybe it has gone too far with its political implications..

Heliodromus:

--- Quote ---The obverse legend IMP MAXIMIANVS IVN AVG introduced in Lugdunum seems to be a very clear distinction and is short and convenient. I wonder why they did not use it universally in the domain of Constantine. Maybe it has gone too far with its political implications..
--- End quote ---

Yes, maybe a step too far ... These Lyons issues (Concordia Perpet/etc) with IVN AVG seem to be Constantine's declaration of a "new world order" (or perhaps it is really Maximianus who is driving it?), and then it is quickly followed by the conference at Carnuntum and Maximianus's forced re-retirement.

Galerius was really the senior augustus (and Maximianus 2nd reign a usurper), so it was a pretty radical statement to call Galerius junior augustus - may as well just stop recognizing him altogether which is what Constantine then did. Constantine's alliance with Maximianus, and Maximianus/Maxentius's defence of Rome against Severus and Galerius had obviously forced things ... Constantine could no longer attempt to keep a neutral relationship with Galerius.

I have two of the IVN AVG coins - they are difficult to find.

Ben

Lech Stępniewski:

--- Quote from: Heliodromus on February 10, 2021, 09:01:31 am ---so it was a pretty radical statement to call Galerius junior augustus

--- End quote ---

Perhaps this message was too clear. Whereas the situation before Carnuntum was unclear and unstable. It was probably more convenient to issue coins on which it is not quite clear who is who: Galerius or Herculius. So they could be interpreted depending on the actual situation. By contrast, IVN was clearly an insult.

Nice coins, especially the first one.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version