Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Simmurray's Gallery  (Read 5389 times)

Offline simmurray

• Consul
Re: Simmurray's Gallery
« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2021, 11:52:26 am »
I saw this one in that auction, glad you got it. I bid on another Republican coin, but didn't get it. I did get two others, a Pergamon and an Ephesus Roman Provincial, though. Beautiful coin.

Virgil

I had a few coins on my list but to be honest I spent my entire budget on this one; thankfully just had enough to win it. It’s one of them coins that has a certain appeal that I know I would have regretted missing out on it.

Do you have any pics of the coins you won? I remember the Mysia bronze owl going for a very reasonable price and was tempted to bid but I know that’s a slippery slope for me.

Thanks
Steve

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2021, 01:28:13 pm »
Like you, I don't have the coins in hand yet, but here are pics of the two. I thought the prices were very reasonable, especially for the Pergamon one. I really expected to get outbid. I bid on six total and I know that slippery slope thing. The Roman one is IONIA, Ephesus. Augustus, with Julia Augusta (Livia).

Virgil

Note I am getting 403 forbidden error when trying to one or two attachments (that meet size restrictions). Let me see if just the post itself works.

Offline simmurray

• Consul
« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2021, 03:41:12 pm »
Just viewed the Ionia coin and you got a bargain with that; that’s a very nice coin congratulations

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2021, 04:13:56 pm »
Thank you. I think they were both bargains, I really didn't expect to get either one.

Regards,
Virgil

Offline simmurray

• Consul
« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2021, 10:33:09 am »
Just added a Corinth stater to the collection

Corinthia, Corinth (c. 375-300 BC). Silver Stater. Pegasus left. Rev. Helmeted and wreathed head of Athena left, gorgoneion behind. (Pegasi 427)

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pid=172074

Offline quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Ad perpetuam rei memoriam. Ars longa, vita brevis.
    • My Gallery Albums
« Reply #30 on: September 15, 2021, 01:00:44 pm »
Great addition 👍🤗

Joe
All the Best :), Joe
My Gallery

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2021, 03:55:55 pm »
A beauty

Offline simmurray

• Consul
« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2022, 10:38:32 am »
Just added my first Julius Caesar
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pid=174060

Another off my wish list

Thanks
Steve

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2022, 11:11:42 am »
That's a great example!

Offline quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Ad perpetuam rei memoriam. Ars longa, vita brevis.
    • My Gallery Albums
« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2022, 01:46:59 pm »
Congratulation... +++ :) ;)

Joe
All the Best :), Joe
My Gallery

Offline simmurray

• Consul
« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2022, 04:14:37 pm »
Thank you Jay and Joe for your kind comments; always wanted a Julius Caesar and the portrait coins are out my price range and to be honest most decent examples seem to be  going up in value so I thought I’d obtain one before they all become unaffordable for me

Steve

Offline simmurray

• Consul
« Reply #37 on: October 24, 2022, 10:35:22 am »
Just added a couple of new denarii which I won at auction:

Ti. Claudius Ti.f. Ap.n. Nero. 79 BC. AR Serrate Denarius - https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pid=178070
C. Naevius Balbus. 79 BC, AR Serrate Denarius - https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pid=178069

Thanks for looking

Steve

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #38 on: October 24, 2022, 12:13:32 pm »
Both very nice coins. I love those portraits of Diana, as in the Nero. Venus portrait is nice, too.

Virgil

Offline simmurray

• Consul
« Reply #39 on: October 25, 2022, 10:58:29 am »
Both very nice coins. I love those portraits of Diana, as in the Nero. Venus portrait is nice, too.

Virgil

Thanks Virgil, the eye appeal of the Diana was too much for me to pass on. Absolute stunning coin in hand. The Venus portrait is one of them coins that when photographed highlights the flaws far more than if you view the coin in hand, its still a very pleasing example and the reverse is beautifully detailed for 2 out the 3 horses which is not the case in most examples I have seen.

Steve

All coins are guaranteed for eternity