Numismatic and History Discussion Forums > Coin of the Day

Eubosia

(1/2) > >>

Jochen:
Hi!

Euposia is one of my favourite deities. The source is Eubosia in Phrygia. About 10 year I have seached for an available specimen. Now I found one for an affordable price:

Phrygia, Hierapolis, pseudo-autonomous, 2nd-3rd century AD
AE 27, 11.72g, 180°
obv. IERAPOLEI - TWN (from upper Right)
        Head of Dionysos with ivy wreath r.
rev. EUBO - CIA (from lower left)
       Demeter Euposia, in long garment and mantle, stg. l., holding in extended r. hand 2 grain ears and in l. arm cornucopiae on which the
       baby Ploutos is sitting stretching the arms for her
ref. cf. Künker Auc. 193, Sept. 2011, Lot 263
      unpublished in greater works
very rare, F+, olive green patina
Pedigree:
ex Bertolami Fine Arts E-Auction 49, November 2011, Lot 484 (in error referenced as von Aulock Pisidien I, 891-7. But that is Decius from Isinda!)

More often Euposia is depicted as Tyche Euposia. But here it is the rarer variant as Demeter Euposia with 2 grain ears. I found this type only 4x in the web. Eubosia is translated "good pasture", and Eubosia is the Phrygian goddess of fertility and welfare. So she is easily identified with the Greek Demeter.

Best regards

quadrans:
Nice find, Jochen,  ;)

Congratulation... +++

Joe/Q.

okidoki:
another great looks Jochen, all a collector wants is here

stevex6:
Nice => Jochen, congrats on adding that beauty to your collection (total winner ... great eye-appeal)

+++

Jochen:
I'm so happy, now I got her counterpart Tyche Eubosia:

Phrygia, Hierapolis, pseudo-autonomous, 3rd century AD
AE 29, 10.92g, 29.02mm, 0°
obv. IERAPOLEI - TWN (from upper r.)
       Head of Dionysos wreathed with ivy, r.
rev. EVBO - CIA
       Tyche Euposia, in long garment and mantle, stg. frontal, head l., holding in extended r. hand rudder and in l. arm cornucopiae on which Ploutos is seated and stretching arms to her.
ref. a) SNG München 221 (Wildwinds)
      b) BMC 35 var. (has EVBOCIA without break)
Very rare, F+

This depiction as Tyche Eubosia with rudder is more frequent than Demeter Eubosia with grain ears.

Best regards

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version