Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Sometimes, dirty is better...  (Read 2012 times)

Offline Federico M

• Consul
Sometimes, dirty is better...
« on: February 11, 2005, 03:01:57 pm »
I’m thinking to a short article for Forum, concerning uncleaned coins and –in particular- when it’s time to stop in the cleaning process, even if you are technically able to remove more dirt/encrustations/etc. (and this without damaging the coin).

The kind of cases I'd like to collect and show are the ones in which some kind of "desert patina", ocra/white/red earthen fills on dark patina or similar things actually highlight the details of a coin: this is a quite special case, but for a newbie it is better to see some example before starting cleaning too many coins, since it is very frustrating when you do a technically good job and end up with a coin looking worst than before touching it!

Obviously I already have some idea and some image to propose from the coins I cleaned (or I did not clean, because I liked them dirty!), and I’m going to post them here also, as soon as they are in a more suitable format (right now they are in 1200 dpi format…), but I’d like any suggestion and I would really appreciate the possibility to put in the article some before/after pic on this subject or some coin you actually decided not to clean anymore, to show when it could be better to left some kind of “incrustations” on the coin to highlight details (or to avoid the risk of damaging it: see the case of red spots on copper coins). Please, if you post your pics say also if you authorize me to use them in the article (naturally, I'll say that the image is courtesy of “Mr. X” and add your comments, if you want).
[Any link to relevant post in this topic is wellcome also, even if I'll try to look for them myself]

Thanks,
Federico

seth

Re: Sometimes, dirty is better...
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2005, 12:34:04 pm »
parapharse from Stephen King ?
"Pet Sematary" - the line of Jud Crandall - " Sometimes dead is better.."
 ;)

Offline Federico M

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2006, 07:50:56 am »
I forgot this post for a while, but an image of a coin cleaned by Forvm made me remember of this topic (that is "when should we stop cleaning a coin?").
Look at this "cameo" technique of cleaning:

Do someone have examples of coins cleaned in this way (hopefully with before and after pics)?

Federico

PS
Thanks to Kevin for his reply! I'm sorry I didn't notice it for a long time because I forgot to ask notification of replies for this topic :(

exquisiteoaf

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2006, 09:50:48 am »
parapharse from Stephen King ?
"Pet Sematary" - the line of Jud Crandall - " Sometimes dead is better.."
 ;)

LOL  ;D The thread title made me think of that line right away, too.

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2006, 06:03:02 pm »
You can find other examples in the catalog.  Cleaning has become an occasional hobby for me, especially when I see a coin that I can cameo clean.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

stickman

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2006, 06:38:10 pm »
Here are a couple from another thread that show the great job that Joe does on cleaning these types.

HoloWolf

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2006, 06:59:50 pm »
No arguments from me.
Joe does a fabulous job of cleaning those desert patina coins.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity