Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Jaimelai's Coins  (Read 40702 times)

Offline Jaimelai

• Caesar
Re: Jaimelai's Coins
« Reply #50 on: October 23, 2010, 11:17:46 am »
Just added two new 3/4 obols from Tarsos.  I got a little confused last week and ended up bidding on both, not realizing there were two separate coins till I won them both.   I'm glad I won that second one though, as it is in really good condition for that type (and my price range).  I guess others agree, as it's had 15 views already in a matter of hours.   :)

Thanks for looking and for the comments!

Offline Jaimelai

• Caesar
« Reply #51 on: November 07, 2010, 03:51:38 pm »
Added a couple more Greek bronzes recently.  I like one reverse so much, that I added it twice!

Thanks for looking!

:laugh:

Offline Jaimelai

• Caesar
« Reply #52 on: November 14, 2010, 02:16:23 pm »
Just added a "stunning" new Syracuse tetradrachm signed by Kimon!

Of course, it may be worth a little more if it wasn't also signed by Slavey - don't know what I was thinking!   ::)

Offline Jaimelai

• Caesar
« Reply #53 on: November 24, 2010, 01:16:47 am »
Thought I had the "find of the century" with another Kimon signed Syracuse tetradrachm, well until I found out what the "RR" stamped on the edge means.  Still over a hundred years old though (and looks like it - had a hard life so far I'd say).

Thanks for looking!

:)

Offline areich

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
« Reply #54 on: November 24, 2010, 03:56:58 am »
Much better than Kimon channeled through Slavey.  :)
Andreas Reich

Offline Jaimelai

• Caesar
« Reply #55 on: December 25, 2010, 04:50:27 pm »
Hey I think I have a "real" signed Syracuse for a change!   Much nicer in hand than my poor photos.  Thanks for looking!

Offline Jaimelai

• Caesar
« Reply #56 on: February 22, 2011, 08:39:13 pm »
I've been adding a few more coins to my gallery, but with money getting a little tight, not as many as I would like.  This latest coin was only about $3.00 though, so not too bad!  And it turns out to be a little brother to my very first Greek coin, a bronze from Phalanna that was in with a batch of uncleaned Romans.   Here's a family portrait:

Offline rover1.3

• Tribunus Plebis 2012 / Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #57 on: February 23, 2011, 04:48:00 am »
A happy family on a very nice frame... ;D

Offline Randygeki(h2)

• Caesar
  • :D
    • My gallery
« Reply #58 on: February 24, 2011, 12:56:38 pm »
nice!

Offline Enodia

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #59 on: February 25, 2011, 03:52:02 am »
they do make a nice set.   8)
these two-headed coins are interesting, and you don't see that very often on Greek coins. nice addition!

~ Peter

Offline Jaimelai

• Caesar
« Reply #60 on: February 25, 2011, 09:47:10 pm »
Thank you very much for the comments.  I really do appreciate them all!  :) 

Just added a few more Greek bronzes.   :laugh:

Thanks for looking!

Offline Jaimelai

• Caesar
« Reply #61 on: March 06, 2011, 09:58:37 pm »
I recently added a griffin from Teos to my gallery that may be worth a look.  I don't know how many angels can dance on the head of a pin, but I know one griffin can!   (meaning - it's a small coin!)

Offline Jaimelai

• Caesar
« Reply #62 on: April 03, 2011, 12:46:15 pm »
LOL - it seems like that last few times that I have posted new coins in my gallery, my picture in the "last additions" section gets quickly buried by a flurry of new posts!   This time by some very beautifull Roman Republics by Benito!   :)
So this is just an udate to say I've posted a few more Greeks in my gallery.   One thing is curious though - my recently posted coin from Maroneia received 26 views in just a few hours.  I was just wondering just what peaked someone's interest in this coin?  It is a nice example, but that many view in such a short time is kind of unusual for me. 

Thanks for looking and I enjoy the comments!

Offline Jaimelai

• Caesar
« Reply #63 on: May 15, 2011, 06:37:49 pm »
Added a few more interesting coins, including one from Thymbra, Troas, that has been battling BD for the past 2300 years!  It looked like it was flaring up again, so I took a dental pick, a Forum brass brush, and a soft brass DD brush to it and removed the little few little soft powder blue-green spots and then a couple of old blisters.  Turned out very nice with a nice (IMO) red copper-oxide/malachite  patina beneath.  It also looked like it may have been waxed along the way too.  Looks a lot nicer in hand than my picture, but then again they all do!  :)

Offline Jaimelai

• Caesar
« Reply #64 on: May 15, 2011, 10:30:51 pm »
Here is a "before and after" pic of my Zeus Ammon from Thymbra.  I really hated to touch it as it was from "an old collection", but I didn't like the looks of that spot before the ear.  As I probed it under the scope I found that is wasn't as "active" as I feared (hard, not soft and powdery), but then I found a few other spots that did concerned me (like that ridge before Zeus's nose and a spot right behind it).  Both left pits, but fortunately, very shallow and not that noticeable once the coin was brushed.  There appeared to be pools of wax under that dirt, so a working theory is that some collector freaked at the BD, coated the coin in wax and then covered it with dirt for the "sandy patina" or maybe the wax just soaked through the dirt.  I started with those troubled spots by the nose and was totally surprised to see that beautiful surface come through, so I continued brushing and probing.  Turned out surprisingly nice.   :)

Offline Jaimelai

• Caesar
« Reply #65 on: May 26, 2011, 03:37:07 am »
Just added an impressive little satyr coin from Lete.

:o

Offline Jaimelai

• Caesar
« Reply #66 on: June 20, 2011, 03:42:48 pm »
Just received my impressive little satyr coin back from David Sear's authentication service.  I had a couple questions which he was able to answer and get back to me (with my certificate) within a week!   I have updated my gallery with his additional information:

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-67597

Now to see if the BOT Gallery has an award for the Ugliest BOT coin!

Offline Randygeki(h2)

• Caesar
  • :D
    • My gallery
« Reply #67 on: June 24, 2011, 05:46:29 am »
Here is a "before and after" pic of my Zeus Ammon from Thymbra.  I really hated to touch it as it was from "an old collection", but I didn't like the looks of that spot before the ear.  As I probed it under the scope I found that is wasn't as "active" as I feared (hard, not soft and powdery), but then I found a few other spots that did concerned me (like that ridge before Zeus's nose and a spot right behind it).  Both left pits, but fortunately, very shallow and not that noticeable once the coin was brushed.  There appeared to be pools of wax under that dirt, so a working theory is that some collector freaked at the BD, coated the coin in wax and then covered it with dirt for the "sandy patina" or maybe the wax just soaked through the dirt.  I started with those troubled spots by the nose and was totally surprised to see that beautiful surface come through, so I continued brushing and probing.  Turned out surprisingly nice.   :)
Turned out pretty good!

Offline Jaimelai

• Caesar
« Reply #68 on: August 03, 2011, 06:21:33 pm »
Some of my Medusas got into a bit of a tiff with their Parion sisters and left to form their own colony!   They can now be found at my Apollonia Pontica Gallery along with some of their friends.   Just wanted to point out that the type numbering system listed in the coin descriptions is for my own sorting purposes, but based on the work of others.  Also, got in a few new Greek bronzes that are kind of neat.  Any comments are welcomed.   :laugh:

Thanks for looking,

Joe

Offline Jaimelai

• Caesar
« Reply #69 on: September 15, 2011, 07:33:45 pm »
Just added a couple new fractions to my Apollonia Pontica gallery.  Also recently added a few more interesting Greek Bronzes.

Thanks for looking!

Offline Jaimelai

• Caesar
« Reply #70 on: September 27, 2011, 02:27:46 am »
Just added a couple more Greek bronzes - heavenly Aphrodite of Uranopolis!

Thanks for looking!

Offline Jaimelai

• Caesar
« Reply #71 on: September 27, 2011, 05:37:16 pm »
OK, I just fixed the link to my gallery - lol.   

Thanks to all that tried to look at my coins!

Offline casata137ec

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Trying not to screw up...one coin at a time...
« Reply #72 on: September 27, 2011, 09:06:03 pm »
Really nice collection you have going there! I will be going through it over the next couple of days, thanks!

Chris
Salus Populi Suprema Lex Esto - Missouri 1822

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=19691

Offline Jaimelai

• Caesar
« Reply #73 on: October 08, 2011, 02:06:02 pm »
Torch race at Jamelai's gallery!

Offline Steve E

• Caesar
  • My favorite Forvm purchase, so far!
« Reply #74 on: October 08, 2011, 08:06:10 pm »
Nice additions to you impressive collection! Well done.

~Steve

All coins are guaranteed for eternity