Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Uncertain Mint - Septimius Severus Rome or Emesa  (Read 649 times)

Daniel-Alexandru B

Uncertain Mint - Septimius Severus Rome or Emesa
« on: November 12, 2021, 01:06:27 pm »
Hello. I am not 100% sure where the coin was minted. I think that in Emesa 194-195 AD. Second I am can't dechipher the obverse. I think it says:
Obverse: IMP CA L SE SEV PER AVG COS II
Reverse: MONET AVG

Thank you for your help!

Offline clueless

• Caesar
Re: Uncertain Mint - Septimius Severus Rome or Emesa
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2021, 06:15:37 am »
It is an Emesan issue and you do read the legend correctly. There are a lot of variety among these issues.

Cheers,

Clueless

Daniel-Alexandru B

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2021, 06:58:54 am »
Thank you!

Offline maridvnvm

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2021, 02:05:54 pm »
There are several COS II obverse dies that have odd, shortened legends and this is one of them. They are a sub-series that I actively collect. I have 9 different obverse dies with these shortened legends.

Here is a double die match to your example:-

The same obverse die is also known with:-

BONA SPES

and LIBER AVG

All coins are guaranteed for eternity