Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Roman Provincial - Cilicia?  (Read 439 times)

Offline Graham S

• Praetorian
Roman Provincial - Cilicia?
« on: September 27, 2021, 06:45:54 pm »
Obverse has a laureate head, r., wearing a cloak fastened with a brooch. Reverse has a female figure standing left holding cornucopia and branch - Pax or Tyche?

The letters are slightly off the edge or badly formed, to the extent I'm not even sure if this is Latin or Greek. The obverse is something like xxUPΓxx  xxxITAI, the reverse A :reversedN:IxOCxxOx VNAOIONIAE

It came with a couple of other provincials, both from Cilicia (Apollonia Salbace and Anemurium):

I tried asking the same question on the Numista forum as I've been having trouble posting here, but no response so far.

Thanks
Graham

Offline Mark Fox

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: Roman Provincial - Cilicia?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2021, 12:50:46 am »
Dear Graham and Board,

Your coin hails from Pisidian Antioch.  After scrutinizing the obverse legend, it seems to end in "GETA CA".  No exact match was found tonight, but here is a piece to give you a better idea of the basic type you have:

https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=7977608

The standard reference for the variety-rich coinage of this large Pisidian city is Aleksandra Krzyżanowska's Monnaies coloniales d’Antioche de Pisidie (1970).  Sadly, I do not have a copy of it in my library yet. 

Hope some of this helps!

Best regards,

Mark Fox
Michigan   

Offline Graham S

• Praetorian
Re: Roman Provincial - Cilicia?
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2021, 06:54:32 am »
Thanks Mark

I thought the head looked like a woman but in a man's clothes - I should have realized it was a young boy!

There are more similar types on Wildwind itself, though not an exact match. With that hint, I can read the reverse as:

ANTIOCH FOR-TVNA COLONIAE

I'm still struggling to read the obverse, even knowing the variations to match it against. I will find out on my next trip to the library.

Thanks again: now to find out more about Pisidian Antioch, which I hadn't heard of before!

Graham

All coins are guaranteed for eternity