Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Roman Provincial - Saracuse perhaps?  (Read 578 times)

Dave S3

Roman Provincial - Saracuse perhaps?
« on: September 24, 2021, 11:22:40 pm »
This one is a really nice coin, depicting a chariot with two horses driving left. I can't quite make out the driver's details, looks possibly three-headed? There is an odd field symbol with what looks like a J on its side wearing a ring. It is very similar to some coins from Saracyuse, however I couldn't find bronze ones going left, nor with the obverse deity.

Under the chariot the magistrate name seems to be "PP?TTIO".

Reverse possibly depicts Athena without a helmet? There are some odd field lines, possibly they are details, or possibly the flan was just not flat or even it could be a reused flan.

The coin is 16mm wide and 4.1g in weight.

Any help, as always, very much appreciated :)

regards
David

Offline Pekka K

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • ...one coin at a time...
Re: Roman Provincial - Saracuse perhaps?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2021, 01:55:58 am »
Looks like this coin of the Brettii:

https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=106747

Pekka K

Dave S3

Re: Roman Provincial - Saracuse perhaps?
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2021, 02:05:57 am »
Aced it again! And I got to learn another thing; two horse chariots are called "bigas"!

Much appreciated
Dave

All coins are guaranteed for eternity