Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Nomination NFSL numismatiklanz  (Read 4671 times)

Offline antoninus1

• Consul
Re: Nomination NFSL numismatiklanz
« Reply #50 on: September 25, 2021, 02:44:59 am »
Will the buyers of the previously sold items read this? Hopefully!

Offline dwarf

• Consul
« Reply #51 on: September 25, 2021, 05:38:06 am »
He currently seems to sell his "black cabinet" and gets good prices as the coins are sold with real old tickets
https://www.ebay.de/itm/LANZ-SICILY-NAXOS-DIONYSOS-TETRADRACHM-MODERN-FORGERY-SILVER-HL634-/304108759847

Offline shanxi

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My gallery
« Reply #52 on: September 25, 2021, 06:21:05 am »
and gets good prices

IMHO either a fake collector or someone who thinks he knows better

EDIT: See the post of DinX (next post) for the template.

Offline Din X

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #53 on: September 25, 2021, 06:49:12 am »
He currently seems to sell his "black cabinet" and gets good prices as the coins are sold with real old tickets
https://www.ebay.de/itm/LANZ-SICILY-NAXOS-DIONYSOS-TETRADRACHM-MODERN-FORGERY-SILVER-HL634-/304108759847

This seems to be a cast fake or very bad electrotype of the authentic coin in Münzkabinett München

https://virtuellerkatalog.staatliche-muenzsammlung.de/virtuelles-kabinett/suche?no_cache=1&tx_jomuseo_pi1009%5Baction%5D=detailobject&tx_jomuseo_pi1009%5Bcontroller%5D=Museo&tx_jomuseo_pi1009%5Bh%5D=1&tx_jomuseo_pi1009%5BjoDetailView%5D=record_DE-MUS-099114_kenom_186535&tx_jomuseo_pi1009%5Bjopaginatepage%5D=1&cHash=ad13be5d3a9cf1226ea35e5702de3e22

Ich have one too but mine is higher quality and an electrotype

The majority of the fakes with tickets that he sold seem to be cast or very bad electrotpy of museum pieces I have some of these myself but as electrotypes in higher quality and I do not remember tha I have seen any of this fakes in his black cabinet when I was there, he had only some bad fakes most likely from whole collections he has bought in the past, so he was most likely able to get the money back from consignors when he accidentially sold fakes.

Some of his fakes were really old, good and valuable fakes and some were and are just trash.

I own a Samos drachm too which was condemned by Julius Friedlaender in his book "Ein verzeichniss von griechischen falschen münzen welche aus modernen stempelin geprägt sind: Zur warnung zusammengestellt" published 1883.
I do not know why the coin was condemned as fake from modern hand cut dies but in hand it looks 100% authentic and it has an really old pedigree and I have seen die matches with old pedigrees although I have to admit that I have seen many fakes Caprara, Becker, Christoulos  etc in old auction catalogues too, so old pedigrees does not mean a coin is authentic but it means at least no modern fake.
And I have some coins in my own colleciton of which I do not know for sure if they ar real or not and I have seen fakes in black cabinets in museums (you can seen them with appointment) of which I did not know why they are fakes and the Expert there sometimes did not know too. It is not so easy to tell always if a coin is fake or not.
Even if the Legionary was condemned it was possibly because of the pearl which would mean cast.

I did some research for some Alexander drachms and found that an US auction house has listed in his auctions several of this fakes in their auctions, Auction 207, 8 Alexander fakes, auction 208, 4 Alexander fakes, auction 209 2 Alexander fakes, auction 210, 1 Alexander fake, auction 2011, 1 Alexander fake, auction 214, 1 Alexander fakes in other auctions are very obvious fakes too linke in auction 206 a Callatis drachm(modern dies Bulgarian workshop).
The problem of this Alexander drachms is that they share all same style and fabric (very round and soft planchets and soapy details) and which would mean same artis and workshop but they are supposed to be from different emperors, times and mints and of course they combined all dies like crazy although most die combinations can not be possible and then they even combined them with already published fakes from modern dies. The only confusing thing almost all are completely modern hand cut dies but some are real hardcore recut transfer dies and they used and recut then either imprints taken from authentic coins or modern replicas. Of course I was not able to find any real coin from this dies but sometimes similar ones obverse dies but there were still well visible differences showing that they are from different dies. And of course Lanz sold some but not so many of these too on ebay.

Offline Stkp

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #54 on: September 25, 2021, 01:06:59 pm »
. . . some recent Roman purchases have been incorrectly listed under either the wrong emperor (as if a template was reused without overwriting it) or the RIC is just plain wrong. . . . they do not respond to messaging on eBay.

Their incorrect eBay attributions extend to the Islamic and medieval European coins as well. I bid on the coin and not the attribution.

The one time that I had occasion to question them about a coin -- after it was already in hand -- they responded to my email and offered to reverse the purchase for a refund (I ended up keeping the coin; it was an interesting contemporary counterfeit).

Stkp

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #55 on: September 25, 2021, 10:24:19 pm »
I think just having a thread like this helps people make their own decision.  Whether or not they are on the list, I know what I will do when it comes to Lanz, and I suspect others will do the same...

I am late to the conversation here, but that was exactly what I was thinking. I won't buy from this Lanz under any circumstance. This thread is at least helpful to people like me whether he is on the list or not. All the talk about, "well, he doesn't know who is putting his coins on ebay, etc.," do not give me comfort. He is still responsible even if he has no clue what others are doing in his name. That is called running a business, you are responsible for everything that happens in it..
Virgil

All coins are guaranteed for eternity