Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: John Hyrcanus I Menorah Lead Seal? Probably Not Antigonus?  (Read 926 times)

Offline Pete B

• Consul
John Hyrcanus I Menorah Lead Seal? Probably Not Antigonus?
« on: July 23, 2021, 08:51:19 am »
Hello Everyone! Just wondering af anyone has seen anything like this item? It's about 15mm, cast Lead. I think it dates to John Hyrcanus I, but I'm quite the novice at this. The base of the Menorah doesn't seem to match anything that Antigonus had issued...

Offline Gert

• Procurator Monetae
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • My Vcoins store
Re: John Hyrcanus I Menorah Lead Seal? Probably Not Antigonus?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2021, 06:20:54 am »
This looks like a seal of the later Roman/early Byzantine period. However, I am always extremely hesitant with anything depicting a Menorah. The reverse of your seal should have a monogram or inscription, but I can't make sense of it. Perhaps a better photo. Note that seals almost always have a die axis of 12.00 which helps photographing it the right way up.
Regards
Gert

Offline Pete B

• Consul
Re: John Hyrcanus I Menorah Lead Seal? Probably Not Antigonus?
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2021, 11:11:05 am »
Hi Gert,

That IS the die axis for 12:00... it mimics a Lulav seen on King/High Priest coins from Judaea. There are two big dots separated by it. The inscription is J / r Y h

All coins are guaranteed for eternity