Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: AIII: Babylon  (Read 2280 times)

vesontio

AIII: Babylon
« on: June 25, 2004, 03:04:03 am »
Hello, folks,

I would appreciate your comments on this tetra of AIII, seemingly to be
of Babylon mint, lifetime issue. The obverse is of no apparent interest.
For the reverse - what is the meaning  of the monograph under the throne? What  is the object (or character) in the left field?

ember

Re:AIII: Babylon
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2004, 02:23:11 am »
Hi,

I believe your coin to be Price 3667 from Babylon, which makes the symbol in the left field an 'acrostolion'.  I really can't help you with monogram below the throne except to tell you  it is a symbol above an 'M'.

Darcy

PS According to David Sear's GCV an acrostolion is the gunwale of a ship.

vesontio

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2004, 03:33:47 am »
Thank you! It is a great news (I was rather upset that nobody could say a word).

In Latin: acrostolium is the decorative part of the bow of a  warship, often removed from a defeated enemy vessel and displayed as a trophy.

The monograph below is enigmatic:  for me, it resembles a 3-dimensional impossible object.

ember

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2004, 03:48:26 am »
Hi,

Sometimes the monograph is a combination of stylised Greek letters.  I don't have the expertise to decipher things like that.  Sorry for taking so long in answering your post.  I work shift-work and sometimes thinking is the last thing I want to do.  ::)

starbits

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2004, 02:29:25 am »
<Sometimes the monograph is a combination of stylised Greek letters.>

The monogram above the M appears to be 3 letters superimposed, an  H  with a F down the middle and a L at the bottom middle.

I had always thought the object in the left field was a torch.

Eric

vesontio

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2004, 07:14:14 am »
Thank you! Is it a conventional interpretation? Lambda, in fact, is the second letter
in Alexadrou and it looks a bit different.  

All coins are guaranteed for eternity