Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Dogs in Antiquity  (Read 1708 times)

Offline Jochen

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Omnes vulnerant, ultima necat.
Re: Dogs in Antiquity
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2023, 02:18:21 pm »
Phoenicia, Tyros, Elagabal, SNG Righetti 2344

A coin with the founding legend of Tyros: In the foreground the dog of Herakles finding a "bleeding" murex shell. With this, the production of purple was discovered.

Best regards
Jochen

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2023, 08:46:43 pm »
Nice one Jochen. Here is my latest that I don't have in hand quite yet and will be adding to my gallery soon. To Tracy, this is a far less expensive version of that Sicily, Eryx coin I posted earlier.

SICILY, Eryx. Circa 412-409 BC. Æ Onkia (14mm, 3.47 g, 7h).

Edit: Tracy, actually this is a different type, similar reverse, but obverse totally different than that other one.

Virgil

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2023, 09:55:41 pm »
I hope this post isn't too esoteric for this forum. I decided to look up Eryx and why they had dogs on their coins. Found a few interesting things, but this book chapter is very interesting and not necessarily what I wanted to see. I had no idea that dogs were used as sacrifices. Nor was I aware of all the mythological contexts. So, better to know than not to. Here is that link:
The Dog as a Sacred Animal in Greece: https://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/E/Roman/Texts/secondary/FRALUP/7*.html

This made me think of the relatively famous painting from the early 20th century by John Stewart Curry called Tornado Over Kansas, a "regionalist" US painting that is today more appreciated than it was back then. Anyway, what is amazing about this painting is that it shows what our priorities are. The large livestock in the distance are screwed. LOL. The adults and children are being helped to safety, along with the dog, puppies, and the cat. The most sad thing about it is the chicken standing there being left behind. Which I think was the point of the painting.

I love the Greeks, but sacrifice a dog? I think not. Not sure I wanted to know.

Virgil

Offline Curtis JJ

• Caesar
    • CONSERVATORI: Ancient Coins & Their Provenances
« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2023, 10:10:04 pm »
Interesting, Virgil! If it makes you feel better, the dogs depicted on Epidauros coins appear to have been treated much better. They were treated as sacred companions and healers. There are other references too, but I believe Pausanias discusses them roaming the Aesclepion, where they were cared for by the temple priests or attendants. It would be Book 2 Chapter 27, I think: http://www.hellenicaworld.com/Greece/Literature/Pausanias/en/Pausanias2.html
“Collect the collectors…” John W Adams’ advice to J Orosz (Asylum 38, 2: p51)

Galleries https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=27154

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2023, 10:39:29 pm »
Thanks, Curtis, I will look at that, looks like this starts with Ch 26 and goes past 27, I will read that. I knew dogs were significant and am well aware of sacrifices of animals, but I guess my knowledge of dogs in ancient times was more along the lines of Cerberus and the companion of Artemis, plus the Chinese pekinese. Plus the stuff that started this thread where they were loved companions. But, it makes total sense that they were seen in various ways beyond just as how I see them.

Virgil

Offline David Atherton

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
  • The meaning of life can be found in a coin.
    • Flavian Fanatic Blog
« Reply #30 on: April 30, 2023, 11:25:29 pm »

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #31 on: May 01, 2023, 07:49:13 pm »
That is a great podcast and I enjoyed it a lot, will listen to them again. I was disappointed there were no ancient dogs except for a cameo for Argos. I was hoping for the dogs of Alexander and Lysimachos. But, a very entertaining podcast, highly recommended looking at some of their other topics they cover. Thanks for posting.

Virgil

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #32 on: May 20, 2023, 07:03:39 pm »
This seems to be the post with the most coins posted, so I just added this one to my Gallery. Roman Republic, Lucius Caesius.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pid=182717

Plus the image here.

Virgil

Offline Meepzorp

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • Meepzorp's Ancient Coins
« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2023, 03:48:24 am »
Hi VH,

Nice coin! :)

That is an exceptional example. I love the contrasts and highlights.

Also, the symbol at the top of the reverse is clearly visible. On my example, that symbol is off the flan.

Here is my example (last coin):

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/meepzorp/rr_pt18.htm

Meepzorp

Offline Serendipity

• Consul
    • My Gallery
« Reply #34 on: May 21, 2023, 05:21:17 am »
I can’t help but think of the Romans without their dogs barking somewhere in the background. The image of the dog’s direct descendant, a she-wolf, suckling the infant twin founders of Rome, Romulus and Remus, has been an abiding symbol of the ancient Romans since at least the 3rd century BCE.

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #35 on: May 21, 2023, 02:11:46 pm »
Meepzorp, your coin is a very nice example. Yours has the exergue legend and mine is off flan, so I guess there are tradeoffs. These flans are definitely a tad too small for the dies. Serendipity, I love that image of the dog barking in the background. And the evolution from she wolf to companion and working dogs is an interesting one to think about.

Virgil

All coins are guaranteed for eternity