Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: The father of history  (Read 1844 times)

Offline Pscipio

• Tribunus Plebis 2009
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Si vis pacem, cole iustitiam
The father of history
« on: November 10, 2011, 02:51:38 am »
A new acquisition to my collection, acquired from eBay where it was described as "uncertain Cilicia". It took me some effort to identify due to the worn condition and almost illegible legends, but it was clear that the reverse doesn't show any emperor or normal deity but rather a philosopher or poet. That would have been exciting enough, but I was pleasantly surprised to find out that it is none of the usual philosophers or poets but the "pater historiae", as Cicerco called him: Herodotos of Halikarnassos, the famous historian of the Persian Wars period († c. 424 BC). Fortunately, nobody else seemed to have noticed as I acquired it at a fraction of my very high maximum bid.

Antoninus Pius AE21, 138-161 AD, Halikarnassos, Caria.
Obv. ΑΥ ΤΙ ΑΙ ΚΑΙ ΑΝΤΩΝΕΙΝΟC, bare head of Antoninus Pius right.
Rev. ΗΡΟΔΟΤΟC ΑΛΙΚΑΡΝΑCCΕΩΝ, draped and bearded bust of Herodotos right.
21 mm, 5.90 g
RPC online temp. 3148 (1 specimen)

Herodotos was shown very infrequently on imperial coins from Halikarnassos (which are rare in general anyway), f.e. under Trajan, Hadrian and Gordian III. RPC online knows a single specimen (unpictured) from the Antonine period, in Berlin. I attach a scan from Karl Schefold's Bildnisse der Antiken Dichter, Redner und Denker from 1943 that shows the Berlin coin. Side by side comparison with my coin shows that it probably is the same reverse die, although the corrosion suggest differently at first glance. The attribution of my coin to Halikarnassos is further confirmed by SNG Leypold 821 (head of Athena left), a larger module coin for Pius from the same mint where the emperor's portrait quite obviously seems to be from the same hand.

Epigraphic evidence shows that Halikarnassos erected a statue to its famous citizen in early hellenistic time. Due to the iconographic consistency of Herodot's portraiture on imperial time coins, Schefold suspects that the dies were modelled after that statue.

Lars
Leu Numismatik
www.leunumismatik.com

Offline cicerokid

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Re: The father of history
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2011, 05:55:41 am »
That is a peach of a find-well done!
Timeo Danaos afferentem coronas

Offline Jochen

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Omnes vulnerant, ultima necat.
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2011, 06:19:13 am »
Congrats!

Offline gordian_guy

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2011, 08:27:41 am »

Nice acquisition Lars.

c.rhodes

Offline Gert

• Procurator Monetae
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My Vcoins store
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2011, 04:00:10 pm »
I wrote my thesis on him... I knew a coin existed with his portrait, but I never thought it would be offered on ebay. Well spotted, Lars!
Groet,
Gert

Offline Samaritan

• Praetorian
  • www.ancientcoinage.org
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2011, 01:57:04 pm »
Great eye Lars. This is an area of interest personally and I have tried to put together as comprehensive a list of philosophers and related personalities (astronomers, mathematicians, poets, etc.). Yet, I have never seen a Herodotus from Antoninus Pius. If you're interest please check out: http://numismaticmythology.com and hit the philosopher/poet tab.

Mark

Offline Jochen

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Omnes vulnerant, ultima necat.
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2011, 04:22:00 pm »
Wonderful site, Mark. I'm amazed!

I have added the following coin:
AE 20, 4.31g
struck 2nd-3rd century AD under a magistrate named Geg.(?)
obv.  bearded bust of Dionysos, r.; trident before entwined by dolphin
rev. EP GEG ALAK THIWN (ALAK seems to be a die flaw or cutter error; it should be correct ANAK!)
       The poet Anakreon, wearing himation, std. r., holding with both hands lyra set
        on his knees.
Ref. BMC 59, pl. XXX, 16 (1 ex.)
Very rare, VF, olive patina
Thanks to Tacrolimus and Archivum for reading the legend correctly!

The rev. is known from Volusian too. Anakreon is one of the most famous lyric poets of ancient Greece besides Archilochos, Sappho and Alkaios.

Best regards

Offline Samaritan

• Praetorian
  • www.ancientcoinage.org
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2011, 08:50:10 pm »
Excellent. Yes indeed I had forgotten to add Anakreon but I have fixed that now. I had also failed to added a very rare coin depicting one of the fathers of ancient cosmology, Anaxagoras. With your permission I would love to add the images you've shared to the website.

Mark

Offline Pscipio

• Tribunus Plebis 2009
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2011, 07:39:51 am »
Hi Mark,

yes I know your excellent website! You are welcome to use my pictures, should you want to. I also have an Anakreon, but in rather poor condition compared to Jochen's so it probably isn't necessary to share my picture.

Lars
Leu Numismatik
www.leunumismatik.com

Offline Gert

• Procurator Monetae
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My Vcoins store
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2011, 11:25:40 am »
Mark, I don't know if you meant this coin of Anaxagoras, that was sold recently on a well known auction site. But if you didn't spot this one, here's a photo.
I was 2nd bidder, so the best I can do is the seller's picture.
Regards
Gert

Offline Samaritan

• Praetorian
  • www.ancientcoinage.org
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2011, 05:31:57 pm »
Gert,

I sure didn't...and would have loved to have known about the coin (in an attempt to make you third bidder). I was referring to the coin below that sold last year at CNG. I don't know of any other Anaxagoras types in the auction records. These are extremely rare coins.
Mark

Offline Pscipio

• Tribunus Plebis 2009
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2011, 05:03:43 am »
Mark,

here is my Homer from Kyme, a type not yet illustrated on your website but nicely corresponding with the similar Smyrna issue.

Kyme, Aeolis, AE19 (5.02 g), time of Commodus.
Obv: OMHPOC, Homer seated right, resting right arm on seat and holding scroll in left hand.
Rev: ΚΥΜ/Α/ΙΩΝ within oak wreath.
RPC online 2469: 4 specimens, none illustrated, but cf. BMC Aeolis p. 115, no. 109-110

Lars
Leu Numismatik
www.leunumismatik.com

Offline Samaritan

• Praetorian
  • www.ancientcoinage.org
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2011, 09:49:53 am »
Beautiful coin...and yet another one I've never seen outside of the reference books.
Thanks!
Mark

Offline leseullunique

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2012, 02:00:34 pm »
here is my own coin showing Herodot

AVTK M ANT . Γ - OPΔIANOC laurate, draped and cuirassed bust seen from behind
HPOΔOTOC AΛIKAPNACCEWN bearded and draped bust of Herodotos right

9th specimen known, all from same dies, 7 in museums, 1 is mine and the last was sold by CNG during auction TRITON V  [LINK REMOVED BY ADMIN]

Offline Samaritan

• Praetorian
  • www.ancientcoinage.org
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2012, 07:50:09 am »
With your permission, I'd love to add your Herodotus coin image to my website (www.ancientcoinage.org) under the others I have imaged. If willing, just let me know how you would like to be referenced.

Thanks!
Mark

All coins are guaranteed for eternity