Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Hadrian Denarius, RIC 265 - Romae Aeternae  (Read 1151 times)

Eduard

Hadrian Denarius, RIC 265 - Romae Aeternae
« on: March 31, 2010, 10:29:16 am »
Hallo,
I have a question about this Hadrian denarius in my collection.

Hadrian AR Denarius. Rome. AD 134-138. HADRIANVS AVG COS III P P, bust right / ROMAE AETERNAE, Roma seated left on chair, holding palladium and spear; beside chair, shield. RIC 265.

I routinely search the available on-line data banks to assess and compare the coins in my colection with similar coins with recorded sales.
Interestingly, for this coin with this particular reverse and legend, I have not been able to find any sales records in either coinarchives or accsearch, and other sources.

RIC describes the type as being common, however, no sales appearances are recorded in the above references.  So my question relates to the scarcity of this reverse type/legend.   Is this such a common type that it is not sold individually at auction, and sales not worth recording, or is a much scarcer type than described by RIC?

(the attached picture shows the coin together with a Nero denarius - my question relates to the Hadrian denarius)

Thanks in advance for your comments,   

Edward

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: Hadrian Denarius, RIC 265 - Romae Aeternae
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2010, 10:36:47 am »
Only one specimen in BM, no. 708.

26 specimens with two bust types in the Reka Devnia hoard, Cohen 1312 and 1314.

So a scarcish type, neither rare nor particularly common.
Curtis Clay

Eduard

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2010, 10:47:07 am »
Thank you Curtis for the prompt reply, and reference to the R.D hoard.

This answers my question - it is not a dreadfully common type then.

Regards,

Eduard 

basemetal

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2010, 09:35:34 pm »
Eduard:

Hello.   Coincidence I just got this coin. 

Bruce

Eduard

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2010, 07:11:23 am »
Hello Bruce,

Nice to see another one :)

And it seems to be from the same, or very similar dies too.

Regards,

Eduard

marandnumiz

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2010, 12:59:48 pm »
Here is yet another denarius of this type. Hadrian looks quite old in my example.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity