Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Unusual Nikopolis reverse...  (Read 1532 times)

kerux

Unusual Nikopolis reverse...
« on: November 02, 2008, 08:33:23 am »
This coin caught my eye...a reverse that seems rather different than anything I've seen from Nikopolis. The specific issue is the position of the right arm as if "eating"? Any thoughts on the personage and pose of the reverse device? Coin is 22mm and emperor is undetermined.

Joe W.

Offline areich

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
Re: Unusual Nikopolis reverse...
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2008, 08:48:53 am »
Andreas Reich

Offline archivum

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2008, 09:16:06 am »
Interesting!  Obverse legend looks like Geta to me, though I couldn't find this one in Varbanov (Bulg.); though Harpocrates reverses are not at all common from Nikopolis *, there are several examples neighborings mints (Google-searching Moesia and harpokrates).  Your coin may be a twin of another scarce specimen with an ethnic too worn to identify ("Geta's Harpokrates," https://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=30374.0).

* Earlier thread on a Septimius Severus example from Nikopolis, Varbanov (Eng.) 2522 var, with another example of Macrinus:

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=23794
Temper thy haste with sloth -- Taverner / Erasmus.

kerux

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2008, 02:40:10 pm »
Here is a smaller Septimius Severus issue from Nikopolis found at Wildwinds. It is referenced to Moushmov 1005...but I see no reference to a Geta Harpocrates issue.

Joe W.

Offline archivum

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2008, 07:31:07 pm »
Moushmov's terribly sketchy compared with Varbanov; that's the beauty of those other Forum links which confirm just how scarce your coin is even by the Varbanov standard.

kerux

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2008, 05:09:40 pm »
I have found no comparable specimens...and it is Geta.

AE22 (7.2g)

Legends read:

Obv: ACE :Greek_Pi:(T) - ( :Greek_Gamma:)ETACKA
Rev: NIKO :Greek_Pi:O :Greek_Lambda:I - T :Greek_Omega:N :Greek_Pi:POCIC

Joe W.

Offline Jochen

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Omnes vulnerant, ultima necat.
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2008, 05:23:54 pm »
Nice find! I have a Harpokrates for Geta from Pautalia. Ruzicka describes the headwear as star but it should be a lotus-blossom I think.

Best regards

Offline archivum

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2008, 10:19:18 pm »
Hello again, Joe; I believe that your coin's the same issue as the first in the "Geta's Harpokrates" thread -- see Reply #2.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity