Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Sicily or Corinth  (Read 832 times)

Offline Sergey A

• Legionary
Sicily or Corinth
« on: August 22, 2022, 04:54:26 am »
Good afternoon ! This coin was brought to me from Sicily. The regular supplier assured that this was the drachma of Syracuse from the time of Timoleon. But I believe it's a Corinthian coin. I want to hear your opinion

Offline Sergey A

• Legionary
Re: Sicily or Corinth
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2022, 05:08:50 am »
bought as
Syracuse. Timoleon and the Third Democracy. 344-317 BC. AR Drachm 16mm, 2.g, In the name of the Sikeliotes. Struck circa 343-339 BC. Pegasos flying left; ΣI below / Head of female left, hair in band

But I didn't see any ΣI below. But I see under the portrait of the goddess (nymph) Δ-Θ (well, or Δ-O). Therefore, I decided to attribute it to the Corinthian drachma of this type: BCD Corinth 150 var. (Δ-O flanking); HGC 4, 1866 sold to Classical Numismatic Group, LLC
Electronic Auction 406 27 Sep 2017 lot 338

Below is a Corinthian drachma similar to mine

Offline Anaximander

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2022, 06:17:11 am »
I agree, Corinth, not Syracuse.  The koppa  (:Greek_Koppa:) should be your first hint. It was used in Corinth.  I'm more used to seeing a helmeted Athena and this other figure is not typical. Your weight seems low for a drachm, at 2 gm.  Perhaps you can eek out a decimal?

The members' gallery has a similar drachm, with koppa, but not the Δ-O.  Another one (here) is blurry, but appears to have the koppa, too. Check out its reference to BMC 184.  Both are attributed to Corinth.

Anaximander Barypous
Member since 2019.
FAC Member Gallery

Offline Sergey A

• Legionary
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2022, 05:26:20 am »
As long as I can on vacation, weigh the coin is not. Thank you all for your help

Offline Anaximander

• Caesar
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2022, 10:59:33 am »
No worries. I was also able to view the comparable coin here, with its attribution to Corinth and references BCD Corinth 150 var. (Δ-O flanking, your coin Δ-Θ); HGC 4, 1866. I don't think it's a die match, but it's probably by the same hand.
Anaximander Barypous
Member since 2019.
FAC Member Gallery

All coins are guaranteed for eternity