Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Greek coins in 3D  (Read 1625 times)

Offline AncientJoe

• Praetorian
Re: Greek coins in 3D
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2014, 06:49:20 pm »
While not economical for all coins, and not perfect, I think these 3D images are fantastic for seeing details that normally wouldn't be apparent in static images.

Do they have other information on these coins anywhere (weight/etc.)? This Kamarina tetradrachm stuck out as interesting but with a suspicious degree of oxidation: http://www.studioskyline.com/clienti/bertolami/360/acr/asta8/A8-0077.html

I know there have been some fake Kamarina tetradrachms floating around - are there any further details on this one?

Offline John Anthony

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2014, 07:31:04 pm »
I like the concept very much, but you've got to rotate the coins manually. The automatic rotation is too fast to be of any use.

Offline paparoupa

• Parasitica Cliens
  • Consul
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2014, 06:41:58 am »

Do they have other information on these coins anywhere (weight/etc.)? This Kamarina tetradrachm stuck out as interesting but with a suspicious degree of oxidation: http://www.studioskyline.com/clienti/bertolami/360/acr/asta8/A8-0077.html

I know there have been some fake Kamarina tetradrachms floating around - are there any further details on this one?

This is from a coming Auction. The description is as follows:
Sicily, Tetradrachm, Kamarina, c. 425-405 BC, AR (g 16,56"; mm 28; h 11), Charioteer driving fast quadriga l.; above, flying Nike holding wreath, in ex., swan flying l. Dotted border, Rv. KAMAPINAION, head of Herakles l., wearing leonté; linear border. Rizzo 9; SNG Copenhagen 162;" SNG ANS 1203. Rare, old cabinet tone, minor oxidation, well centered and large flan. Extremely fine / Good extremely fine.

Why do you think the oxidation is suspicious?

Offline paparoupa

• Parasitica Cliens
  • Consul
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2014, 06:46:00 am »
3D is very cool. However when it comes to decide whether to place a bid or not and at which level, I would not count on such low quality 3D rendering to decide. This auction house also has the bad habit to post only low resolution 2D images.

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • Meepzorp's Ancient Coins
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2014, 10:26:38 am »
I like the concept very much, but you've got to rotate the coins manually. The automatic rotation is too fast to be of any use.

Hi folks,

I agree. The rotation is too fast. It needs to be significantly slowed down.

Meepzorp

Offline PeterD

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • omnium curiositatum explorator
    • Historia
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2014, 11:47:31 am »
This is of course not real 3D - you would need stereoscopic glasses for that. What it is is approximately 16 still shots taken with the coin on a turntable -you can see the putty at the base of the coin used to keep it upright. The automatic rotation option gives the illusion of a smooth transition between the 16 shots. To slow the automatic rotation and still keep a smooth transition you would need to increase the number of pictures. And of course the pictures can only be rotated in one plane. So in some of the coins above where the obverse and reverse are at different axes, the reverse appears at an angle.
Peter, London

Historia: A collection of coins with their historical context https://www.forumancientcoins.com/historia

Offline Arados

• Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2014, 01:16:43 pm »
Quote from: Meepzorp on January 07, 2014, 10:26:38 am

Hi folks,

I agree. The rotation is too fast. It needs to be significantly slowed down.

Meepzorp

Interesting concept, but not quite sure what kind of future 3d photos have. Although, maybe a favourite coin used has a screen saver would look pretty cool, saved of course has a mpeg ?

Don't seem to have any problems viewing the linked coins on my Mac, maybe your both using PC´s ?  ;)

Arados

All coins are guaranteed for eternity