Antiquities Discussion Forums > Ancient Glass

Roman blue glass fragment

(1/4) > >>

Russ:
Hi Folks,

Attached is a photo of a millifiori glass fragment of opaque white and yellow glass in a translucent to clear blue glass matrix. What I find interesting, even amazing, is the fact that the inside does not look like the outside. It seems as if they made two objects, an inner one and an outer one and fused them together... the object might have been a bowl, cup or vase of some kind.
     As it appears, it measures 34 mm long x 25 mm wide x 3.5 mm thick, and weighs 5.84 g.
     This fragment is curved. I measured the length of the outside arc 30 mm; placed a straight edge from end to end, and measured the height of the arc 2.5 mm. Do we have a math whiz who can determine the approximate diameter of the item from these measurements? It would be interesting to find out.
     Thanks.
Russ

mauseus:
Hi,

If the height (h) is 2.5 mm and the flat distance between the ends (w) is 30 mm then the radius (r) is 46.25 mm so the circumference is 296.6 mm.

r= (h/2)+((WxW)/8h)

Then circumference (c) = 2 x pi x r

Regards,

Mauseus

benito:

--- Quote from: mauseus on March 21, 2013, 08:30:25 am ---Hi,

If the height (h) is 2.5 mm and the flat distance between the ends (w) is 30 mm then the radius (r) is 46.25 mm so the circumference is 296.6 mm.

r= (h/2)+((WxW)/8h)

Then circumference (c) = 2 x pi x r

Regards,

Mauseus

--- End quote ---
>:(

This individual would have done better.

mauseus:
Hi,

Are you suggesting I'm wrong?

Mauseus

benito: