Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Pompeii is Crumbling  (Read 971 times)

Online Mat

• Caesar
  • Ancient Coin Addict
MY GALLERY

MJB Ancients

Offline SkySoldier

• Comitia Curiata II
  • Consul
    • My Gallery
Re: Pompeii is Crumbling
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2011, 09:21:19 am »
I got a chance to see Pompeii while I was stationed in Germany several years ago and it didn't look like the place was being maintained then.  I chalked it up to the fact that the U.S. is probably a bit obsessive when it comes to historical sites.  Looks like that Pompeii has just been let go.

In the JAN 2003 Celator, there's a good article by Marvin Tameanko on the coin finds of Pompeii.  It's really interesting, with a map of the finds and several tables on date, location, description and composition of the finds; I believe over 70 in all.  The article also talks about the distribution of denominations, as well as a hoard that was possibly buried in pre-imperial times.  Some of the hoards were found with skeletons, most likely folks trying to escape the eruption with their life savings.  Adds poignancy to the hoards.  

Offline LordBest

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Re: Pompeii is Crumbling
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2011, 09:58:21 am »
You may want to read this:
http://timesonline.typepad.com/dons_life/2011/10/has-another-pompeii-wall-collapsed.html
The short answer is 'no'.

By chance I am on the site of Pompeii for the weekend. It is now swarming with more journalists than tourists, and all (it seems) with a determination to hype another collapse, another Pompeian disaster. That is to say, they are here with a determined misunderstanding of what has just happened -- or with a drive to use any damage to the site as a stick with which to beat Berlusconi
                                                                                             LordBest. 8)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity