Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Timbriada AE - Any References?  (Read 1261 times)

Offline wandigeaux (1940 - 2010)

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
Timbriada AE - Any References?
« on: September 14, 2010, 06:35:29 pm »
I just bought this bronze of Caracalla from Timbriada (one of the five or six cities that I just can't resist acquiring).  The seller was unable to find any references to it in the standard catalogues.  Can anybody find it in more recent or more obscure sources?  Any information very much appreciated.  George S.

Caracalla, AE26, Timbriada, Pisidia.  9.93g.  BMC-; SNG Cop.-; SNG von Aulock-; Lindgren-; Tuebingen-; SNG Deutschland-; SNG France-.  Much nicer in hand.

Laureate, draped and cuirassed bust right seen from behind.  AV K M_AV ANTWNEIN_OC.  With the "T" countermark of Timbriada.

The dioscuri standing facing resting on long scepters, moon between them, the figure on the right wearing the star capped headgear and holding a short scepter/parazonium, the figure on the left bare headed.  A very pleasant and attractive depiction, I think.  TIMB_PI_ADEWN
Hwaet!
"The pump don't work 'cuz the Vandals took the handle" - St. Augustine
GET THE HELL OFF MY LAWN!!
(1940 - 2010)

Offline Akropolis

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Akropolis Ancient Coins
Re: Timbriada AE - Any References?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2010, 06:40:15 pm »
Could it be Elagabalus?
PeteB

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2010, 06:47:59 pm »
It certainly could be, but I haven't found any reference for him either.  Cheers, GS
Hwaet!
(1940 - 2010)

Offline archivum

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2010, 11:25:41 pm »

A shared-die near-relation of your coin, perhaps (entry from Isegrim):

PRO: PISIDIA
PO : PROSTANNA
PZ : Between 198 and 217 
 Obverse
VSG: AY K M AY ANTWNEINOS
VT : PORTRAIT MAN R / CARACALLA
VA : WREATH LAUREL / CLOTHES
VG : ROUND <4> / LET T <4> / WITHIN / CRESCENT <4>
 Reverse
RSG: PROSTANNEWN
RT : PERSONS 2 / MAN STANDING HR(1) / DIOSCUR(1) / MAN STANDING HL(2) / DIOSCUR(2)
RA : SPEAR(1-2) / SWORD(1-2)
 Technical details
M  : AE
GR : 25(2)
GEW: 9.98(1) / 10.65(2) / 9.1(3) / 9.85(4)
 Bibliographical references
ZIT: AULOCK PISIDIEN 2 1802(1) / SNG AUL 5148(1)
SG : AULOCK PISIDIEN 2 1803(2) / SNG FRANCE 3 1713(2) / COLL PARIS 531(2) / SLG WADDINGTON 3799(2) / AULOCK PISIDIEN 2 1804(3) / BMC 18 S239,6(3) / AULOCK PISIDIEN 2 1805(4) / COLL BERLIN(4)
 Additional remarks
FR : VS: AY K M AY ANTWNEINOS RS: PROSTANNEWN 
Temper thy haste with sloth -- Taverner / Erasmus.

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2010, 11:53:45 pm »
Thanks, Archivum, O Wizard of Isegrim!  The "T" countermark on this coin is intriguing, to say the least.  The cult of the Dioscuri seems to have been very popular in Pisidia (for example, the Sagalassus shrine reverse with double altars, Price & Trell 256 -- the image of mine is on my expired Mac in the garage).  This popularity may be a reflection of the widespread affectation of Spartan origin among Pisidian cities.  Here, for what it is worth, is another one of mine, of Trajan Decius from Pednelissus, in an indifferent state of preservation (although, again, much, much better than the dealer's photo).

Trajan Decius, AE23, Pednelissus, Pisidia.  BMC- (thus, per the dealer, "Unpublished?")
Radiate, draped and cuirassed bust right.
AV K G M K TPA DEKION EV

Diocscuri standing facing, resting on long scepters, clasping hands, moon between them.
PE_TNHL_ICCE/WN

An ACsearch reveals a companion piece from the wife, with reverse die match, which, apparently, is really not recorded  (her only coin known from that city; how could I have missed this??  At that price!!)

I know there are many others; anybody got one?
Hwaet!
(1940 - 2010)

Offline Pscipio

• Tribunus Plebis 2009
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Si vis pacem, cole iustitiam
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2010, 02:39:20 am »
The first is Aulock Pisidien II, no. 1802-1805 (four specimens), attributed to Elagabal.

The Decius is Aulock Pisidien I, no. 1237-1238.

Sorry, I'm in hurry, so no time for scans or more details.

Lars
Leu Numismatik
www.leunumismatik.com

Offline archivum

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2010, 08:04:29 am »
"The first" must mean the Prostanna type not the one from Timbriada; does the Prostanna type share a die with the mystery Timbriada issue?

Offline archivum

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2010, 03:08:05 pm »

Offline helvetica

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Helvetia Libera Deo Gratia
    • ID Help pages + RIC lists + www.wildwinds.com
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2011, 03:03:18 pm »
Just for interest on the subject of Timbriada - I just noticed, that Imhoof, publishing additions to "Kleinasiatische Münzen" in RSN 14, in 1908 writes "On large bronzes of Septimius Severus and Julia Domna, one sees TI as countermark; and a T on smaller bronzes of Caracalla and Geta. The bust on Waddington no. 4030 is highly probably that of Caracalla, not of Elagabalus". (He doesn't mean the Dioskuri type).
I have been looking for this Dioskuri reverse from Timbriada for a couple of months but have been unable to find it, not even in Mionnet or Imhoof.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity