Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Earliest Caracalla antoniniani  (Read 1227 times)

Offline silvernut

• Caesar
Earliest Caracalla antoniniani
« on: February 01, 2008, 04:49:47 pm »
Hello,

I'm trying to see what would be the earliest antoninianus one can reasonably expect to find. Caracalla's dated TR P XVII of 214 AD, Sol reverse, is supposedly the first ever struck, but I'm guessing it's hopelessly rare (although RIC rates it only as scarce...?). Was this the first ever antoninianus? I guess nowadays one can only find ants from 215 AD onwards, right? Thanks.

Regards,
Ignasi

Offline mauseus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Ah Allectus, my trusted friend.......
    • Later Roman Coinage
Re: Earliest Caracalla antoniniani
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2008, 06:44:22 pm »
Hi,

I thought I read that TRP XVII was read in error and that TRP XVIII (215 AD) was the first confirmed year.

Regards,

Mauseus

Offline silvernut

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2008, 07:09:23 pm »
Yes, that's what Seaby suggests, but I wanted to confirm if that's the case. I haven't been able to find any dated that year online, so I'm guessing the antoniniani were indeed introduced in 215 AD.

Regards,
Ignasi

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2008, 07:13:48 pm »
Mauseus is correct.

There is a substantial issue in the first half or 215 struck WITHOUT any antoniniani, that new denomination and a new set of types not being introduced until perhaps the summer of the year, with TR P XVIII.  All supposed antoniniani with TR P XVII are merely altered or misread or otherwise irregular.

The following antoniniani were certainly among the earliest struck, produced within the first week or two after the introduction of the denomination in mid 215:

J. Domna, without the crescent below her bust, sometimes with large bun at back of head (the earlier type), sometimes with small knot at nape of neck, reverses VENERI GENETRICI, Venus standing or seated, or LVNA LVCIFERA, Luna in biga.  Very soon, the crescent was introduced as a denominational mark for Domna, equivalent to the emperor's radiate crown; the rare pieces without the crescent were certainly her earliest antoniniani.

Caracalla, rev. VENERI VICTRICI, Venus standing, obviously a very early, short-lived type variant, soon replaced by legend in nominative, VENVS VICTRIX.

Here is a Caracalla VENERI VICTRICI antoninianus.  I have answered this question before online, quite possibly in Forvm.
Curtis Clay

Offline whitetd49

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • FEL TEMP REPARATIO
    • Coins of the Severan Dynasty at Stobi
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2008, 08:31:18 pm »
Quote from Curtis Clay:  I have answered this question before online, quite possibly in Forvm.

Yes, it was on Forum but the thread no longer exists.  I had asked the question upon the acquisition of this coin.  It is probably from the second round of production.

If you watch long enough, even a treefrog is interesting.  Umberto Eco
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10349

Offline silvernut

• Caesar
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2008, 04:49:45 am »
Thanks, Curtis. A very thorough and clarifying explanation. Yes, I did look for other similar threads here at Forvm, but couldn't find any. Perhaps your replies to general knowledge about ancient coins should be compiled in a kind of FAQs, as it woul be very useful...

Regards,
Ignasi

All coins are guaranteed for eternity