Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Carausius OTD  (Read 1466 times)

Offline mauseus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Ah Allectus, my trusted friend.......
    • Later Roman Coinage
Carausius OTD
« on: April 23, 2007, 03:06:10 pm »
Hi,

Can't wait for this to arrive so using dealer picture - hope I'm not jinxed and the postal system doesn't swallow it (you wouldn't believe how many times my mail goes astray, luckily it gets delivered to the parents of a friend of mine). I should say here that the dealer is totally reliable - it is the British postal system that lets me down.

Anyway, a silver "denarius" (I hate the term in common useage with Carausian silver laureates) that I think is new.

The reverse type shows Fortuna standing left holding a rudder or baton type thing plus a cornucopia. What makes this coin new (I believe) is that the reverse type is FORTVNA REDVX, if that is an X at the end of the legend. There does not appear room for the RSR mintmark under Fortuna's feet so I think this coin belongs to the unmarked corpus.

If it does read FORTVNA REDVX then it is not represented in RIC (not surprising) or in Norman Shiel's corpus of "denarii" of Carausius so I would tentatively ascribe a reference of RIC - (bis 712), in other words to be inserted before the coin listed as RIC 712 (the lengendary ORIVNA AVG denarius that William Stukeley thought represented the wife of Carausius).

Regards,

Mauseus 

Offline gallienus1

• Caesar
  • Hope for the best but prepare for the worst
Re: Carausius OTD
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2007, 10:30:21 am »
Oh how I could give a right arm for a coin like this! (well maybe a few fingers..) To me to have an example of Carausian silver is a bit of a Holy Grail. The portrait is in the clear rugged style I love from this emperor. The fact that not listed by RIC yet can find it's way to a dedicated private collector fills me with hope that some day...
Well done Mauseus!

Regards,
Steve

Offline mauseus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • Later Roman Coinage
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2007, 07:13:18 am »
Hi,

Picked up the coin this morning from the post office and I can confirm that the reverse legend is  FORTVNA REDVX. It is also a very pretty coin in hand, despite the flan chip.

Regards,

Mauseus

Offline maridvnvm

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2007, 09:00:28 am »
What a wonderful coin. It had a lovely protrait and the chip doesn't detract at all.
I would love to get seomthing that isn't an Ant. for Probus but I don't think that will happen any time soon!
Regards,
Martin

Offline Potator II

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Error communis facit jus
    • Monnaies de la Dombes
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2007, 09:16:00 am »
Hi Mauseus,

That's a great find. As Martin, I don't think the chip is a problem for such a coin.
Congrats, and thanks for sharing

BTW, I must be superstitious, as I don't think I would post a pic of a coin prior to the delivering... Never knows

Regards
Potator

Offline Postumus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Iterum rudit leo.
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2007, 05:38:29 pm »
How many coins of Carausius you have in your collection ?
Caius Marcus Latinus Cassianius Postumus

Offline mauseus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • Later Roman Coinage
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2007, 08:49:17 pm »
Hi,

For Carausius it's about 240 (6 denarii, 5 laureate bronzes, 1 lead seal, the rest radiates), 199 are illustrated in my gallery on FORVM.

Regards,

Mauseus

Offline Postumus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Iterum rudit leo.
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2007, 05:05:55 pm »
 :o
Caius Marcus Latinus Cassianius Postumus

Vladimir

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2007, 06:39:29 pm »
Hi,

For Carausius it's about 240 (6 denarii, 5 laureate bronzes, 1 lead seal, the rest radiates), 199 are illustrated in my gallery on FORVM.

Regards,

Mauseus

Hi Mauseus, how many different  coins of C. do you think exist outthere? ( more than impressed by your numbers, btw)

Offline mauseus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • Later Roman Coinage
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2007, 03:48:47 am »
Hi,

The number of Carausius types is difficult to estimate. RIC lists about 1150 but that disguises some as there 2 or 3 bust types sometimes per RIC number. Also RIC is an old catalogue and many new types and subtypes have come to light since it was produced. Then there is the problem of the irregular issues......

The short answer is I don't know but I do know that there is a long way for me to go!

Regards,

Mauseus

All coins are guaranteed for eternity