Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Interesting Constantine Sol bronze  (Read 2728 times)

Offline FORVM AUCTIONS

• FORVM STAFF
  • Consul
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS AUCTION LISTINGS
Interesting Constantine Sol bronze
« on: October 04, 2005, 05:26:56 pm »
Here is a neat one we just cleaned. The exergue appears to be RS, while the obv reads IMP C CONST...    This legend is not accepted in RIC VII Rome for the Sol series, and we can't see a crescent in the right field (see page 301 )

Any ideeas ?  (PS I would say the portrait looked more like Arles, not Rome...)

Offline wolfgang336

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Aut Caesar Aut Nullus
Re: Interesting Constantine Sol bronze
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2005, 06:18:21 pm »
Hey Alex! The crescent is there, just very hard to see, and only barely visible in the scan. I've got it circled in my attachment.

Evan

Offline Heliodromus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2005, 07:26:48 pm »
I can almost "see" that crescent too, but it's not actually there!

This is RIC VI Rome 374 from 312-313.

This brief use after defeating Maxentius is the last time Constantine used the IMP C vs plain IMP.  Maybe due to reduction in flan size at that time, or maybe he felt he was more his own man and didn't need to draw comparison to Caesar for honorifics!

Ben

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2005, 08:25:52 pm »
Good, no addition to RIC required this time!
To be exact, I'd say the coin is RIC VI Rome 376, since Sol is standing r., head l., not merely standing l.
Curtis Clay

Offline Varangian

• Caesar
  • Det er ikke å unngå fare det vi har komme!
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2005, 08:28:58 pm »
That's one of the tricks to Constantine...remembering to check both RIC VI and VII...

Offline wolfgang336

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Aut Caesar Aut Nullus
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2005, 08:39:46 pm »
Of course you are correct, Ben! It seems my eyes are showing me what I want to see!

Evan

Offline Heliodromus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2005, 08:49:24 pm »
Could Sol be standing facing, head left rather than standing right, head left? The former is a footnoted option for RIC 374, so I chose it since I was unsure and the I-C-T reverse legend break fits, while it would be unlisted for RIC 376.

Ben

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2005, 09:15:24 pm »
        On closer examination, 374 and 376 may well be the identical coin!
        For 374 Sutherland notes only the Gerin catalogue, as though he had seen no actual specimens.  How then did he know the legend breaks, which Voetter doesn't indicate?
        For 376 Sutherland cites Vienna, the present home of Voetter's own collection.  I wouldn't be surprised if those Vienna coins that Sutherland cites are the identical specimens Voetter was citing for his Gerin Cat. no. 37!
        By my definition, the difference between "standing l."  and "standing r., head l." is that the figure places his weight on his r. leg in the first case, on his l. leg in the second. 
        I'm not sure Sutherland was no precise.  EITHER of these poses, if you liked,  could be called "standing front, head l."!
Curtis Clay

Offline FORVM AUCTIONS

• FORVM STAFF
  • Consul
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS AUCTION LISTINGS
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2005, 01:00:11 am »
 :-[ :'( very ashamed, how could I forget checking RIC 6 ! I have to do it very often with Iovi Con folles from eastern mints, but Rome Sol before 313 are uncommon so it did not even cross my mind to reach for RIC 6 !
In any case the Sol here stands quite uncomfortable, looking left, with the upper body facing and one leg right.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity