Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Pics of historical coins  (Read 15194 times)

Offline David Atherton

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • The meaning of life can be found in a coin.
    • Flavian Fanatic Blog
Pics of historical coins
« on: September 29, 2004, 04:02:12 am »
I thought this might be an interesting thread; posting pictures of some important historical coins. Kind of like an online museum.

Here's one of my favourites from an era I just love:

Titus, brass sestertius, A.D. 80, BMCRE 190, RIC, 110, RCV 2536

Flavian Amphitheater reverse.

Offline Potator II

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Error communis facit jus
    • Monnaies de la Dombes
Re:Pics of historical coins
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2004, 05:21:01 am »
Hi Vespasian
Very good idea, and starting with what you show us above is grand
May I add this :

Offline Peattie

• Praetorian
  • Always remember to pillage BEFORE you burn
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2004, 06:30:04 am »
Historical coins, would be a option for another themed gallery. A description of why the poster things it is a historically interesting coin would also be a nice addition.

Nice coin Vespasian.

Offline Peattie

• Praetorian
  • Always remember to pillage BEFORE you burn
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2004, 06:35:43 am »
and to continue the theme started by Potator II.

Q. Caecilius Metellus Pius Scipio
Sear-1379, Cr-459/1, CRI-45, RSC-Caecilia 47

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2004, 06:46:43 am »
Here's a link to my SIGNIS RECEPT dupondius, marking Germanicus' recovery of the standards lost by Varus.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=106&pos=1
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

Offline Jochen

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Omnes vulnerant, ultima necat.
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2004, 06:36:29 pm »
Hi!

Here is another SIGNIS RECEPTIS coin, in this case from Augustus.
AR - Denar, 3.74g, 19mm
       Colonia Patricia(?), ca. 19 BC - 18 BC
obv. CAESAR AVGVSTVS
        bare head r.
rev. SIGNIS above, RECEPTIS under round shield inscribed with CL.V    b
       between eagle l. and standard r. S.P.Q.R. at the corners of the
       shield
RIC I, 86a; BMCR 417; RSC 265
good VF, toned

CL. V is the abbreviation of 'clipeus virtutis', shield of virtue, dedicated by the Senatus according to exceptional merits to the state

In 53 BC the triumvir M. Licinius Crassus was defeated in the battle of Carrhae by the Parthians and killed by betrayal. In this battle 3 legions were wiped out and their eagles captured by the Parthians. This was one of the greatest military defeats of the Romans, and the loss of the eagles  was one of the deepest shames of a general. This defeat was a boiling wound of the Roman self-confidence.

When Octavian became Augustus the Roman people was awaiting he would re-erecting their self-confidence. And in 20 BC Augustus was successful by diplomatic negotiations that the Parthians under king Phraates IV returned these eagles and Roman captives to him. This recovery was celebrated as big success. Therefore the Parthian arch was built in Rome and these coinage celebrates this success too.  The returning of the eagles is also depicted on the cuirass of the famous Augustus statue of Prima Porta (now in the Vatican Museum). The eagles themselfs were erected in the new temple of Mars Ultor on the Augustus Forum. The day of returning was declared as public holiday and this day was celebrated until the 4th century.

Regards,
Jochen

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My gallery
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2004, 03:12:18 am »
Here are the other players in the drama; Orodes II, who wiped out Crassus' army and captured the standards:

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=139&pos=4

His son Phraates IV, who gave them back:

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=139&pos=5
Robert Brenchley

Offline Jochen

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2004, 08:35:05 am »
Hi Robert!

Interesting addition! This I have found in the net about Orodes II:

Orodes II was the son of Phraates III who, along with his brother Mithradates III, murdered his father. The brothers then agreed to rule jointly, but they soon intrigued against each other and the result was that, with the support of the head of one of the leading families of Parthia, a general by the name of Suren, Orodes defeated his brother and had him executed. During the internecine wars, the Romans under the general Crassus invaded Parthia, perhaps in response to a call from Mithradates. This led to one of the greatest defeats in Roman history when Crassus' army was nearly annihilated and the Roman standards captured in 53 B.C. Subsequently, Orodes gave assistance to Caesar's assassins, Brutus and Cassius, and even sent a small contigent of Parthian cavalry to Philippi where Octavian and Mark Antony defeated the rebels. He also gave shelter to Quintus Labienus, the Roman general sent by Brutus and Cassius, who could not return to Rome for fear of execution.

Jochen

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My gallery
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2004, 09:22:22 am »
There's a page about Labienus here: http://www.parthia.com/labienus.htm . Crassus may well have had a figleaf for his expedition, but he was also a greedy so-and-so who may well have had his eye on a repeat of Caesar's conquests in Gaul. He vastly upset the Jews by dropping in at Jerusalem on the way over to Parthia by relieving the Temple treasury of 8000 talents of gold, plus a concealed beam of solid gold weighing 750lb, which was given to him as a ransom, to avoid having to hand over the sacred golden vessals. A talent weighed 34.2kg. So that's over 125000 lb of gold, or about 62-63 short tons of gold, if Josephus' figures are correct. That's serious pillage.
Robert Brenchley

Offline LordBest

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2004, 12:37:08 pm »
Josephus isnt regarded as particularly reliable, he may well have inflated the amount of gold "appropriated" by Crassus to fuel his reputation for avarice.
                                 LordBest. 8)

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My gallery
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2004, 12:55:34 pm »
That's why I said 'if'; he must have taken an enormous quantity, but 60 tons of gold is pushing it, even for the Temple treasure.
Robert Brenchley

Offline LordBest

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2004, 01:10:51 pm »
Yes, by todays gold price, which admittedly is at a high, Crassus loot would be worth $12,188,889USD. By ancient standards... its a bloody lot.
                                 LordBest. 8)

P.S. Took me ages to work that out.

corvus

« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2004, 07:43:04 am »
with your permission, putting out coin from much later period:
THEOPHILUS
"The Unfortunate",  Emperor, AD 829 -  842
Theophilus AV Solidus
VF  Sear Byz 1653
Date: Struck AD 830-840; Constantinople mint
Obverse: *ΘЄOFI LOSbASILЄΘ; Crowned bust holding patriarchal cross and akakia
Reverse: +mIXAHLSCOηSτAητIη; facing busts of Michael II (his father) and Constantine (his son); cross between their heads
Size: 19.84 mm
Weight: 4.4 grams

The last of the iconoclastic empires, Theophilus was a highly cultured and intellectual ruler. He prided himself as an impartial and just ruler. Immediately after his accession he ordered the execution of the accomplices of his father, Michael II "the Ammorian", in the murder of his godfather Leo V. He became legendary for his disbursement of justice. One 12th century Byzantine text imagines him as one of the judges in Hell.
Theophilus established many local mints, promoting commerce in the regions. His sound fiscal policies greatly enriched the Imperial treasury, and allowed him to embark on numerous building projects. Among these were major expansions to the Great Palace.
An enthusiastic patron of the arts and sciences, unlike his father, Theophilus was a great admirer of Arab culture, which was ironic since the major setbacks of his reign all stemmed from Arab armies. Sicily slipped from the Imperial grasp, and the emperor suffered defeats in Asia Minor. At the battle of Dazimon he barely escaped with his life.
Born about 813, Theophilus died from dysentery in Constantinople on 20th January, 842, having left an impressive mark in his short twenty-nine years. He was succeeded by his infant son, Michael III "the Drunkard", under the regency of his widow Theodora. (Theodora, of Armenian origin, was married to Theophilus after a bride show. Despite her husband's strong disapproval, she was a strong iconodule, and was canonized by the Orthodox church. Her and Theophilus appear to have been genuinely in love: she only agreed to the restoration of the icons on condition that Theophilus not be posthumously condemned.) Michael was eventually overthrown by his trusted advisor, Basil I.

Tacitvs

« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2004, 06:35:34 pm »
Yes, by todays gold price, which admittedly is at a high, Crassus loot would be worth $12,188,889USD. By ancient standards... its a bloody lot.

Actually, its a lot more than that.  12 million isn't a very large sum of money by government standards.  If you multiply out that 125000 pounds of gold equals 2 million ounces, and an ounce of gold today is worth roughly $420, then you get a much higher figure of $840 million.  

Offline Rugser

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2004, 06:40:01 pm »
This sestertius is an of the coins with which Philippus wanted to celebrate in the 247 AD the MILLENARY of the foundation from Rome .

ser

Offline Rugser

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2004, 07:08:02 pm »
In the 171 AD,  with this sestertius, Marcus Aurelius celebrated the PRIMIS DECENNALES of his kingdom.

ser

Offline Bill S

• Praetorian
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2004, 09:00:51 am »
... 125000 pounds of gold equals 2 million ounces, and an ounce of gold today is worth roughly $420, then you get a much higher figure of $840 million.  
Gold is weighed in "troy" ounces (12 to the pound) rather than "avoirdupois" (16 to the pound).  This deflates your value estimate, but it's still a bloody fortune.

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My gallery
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2004, 03:06:41 pm »
Imagine digging that lot up. Trouble is, the Parthians probably got it after Carrhae, unless he's stashed it somewhere, and its all gone long since. Like King John's treasure, I don't suppose that was left to fester in the swamps of the Wash for very long.
Robert Brenchley

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2004, 09:41:14 am »
I have created a new "Historical Coin" theme gallery.  Please post your coins there.  I hope there is enough interest to keep it.  
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Jochen

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2004, 08:00:08 pm »
Hi Joe!

Thanks for the new gallery theme! But  I have a problem with the place for informations! Therefore I use this thread for my latest acquisation which I want to share. I hope you are interested like me!
It is a denar of Augustus, but without a portrait of the emperor (my first such coin!)
AR - Denar, 3.83g, 20mm
       Rome 19 BC, by moneyer Q Rustius
obv. Q RVSTIVS - FORTVNA (above), ANTIAT (below, hard to see!)
        Busts, draped, jugate, r., of Fortuna Victrix, helmeted, and Fortuna
        Felix, wearing stephane; Fortuna Victrix holds patera in r. hand;
        both busts rest on bar terminating at each end in a ram' s head
        (sometimes interpreted as Lectisternium or upper part of a
         baldachin)
rev. CAESARI . AVGVSTO
       A highly ornamented rectangular altar, inscribed in front FOR.RE in
       one line
       ex.: EX.S.C.
RIC I, 322; BMCR 2
R2; about VF, toned

This coin is very interesting for it has so much allusions on it.
First to the obv.(?). Q. Rustius was a moneyer, but never member of the IIIviri monetales. The important information is the legend in the ex. ANTIAT. This is short for ANTIATIS, genetivus of ANTIAS, and this means Antium. This is a small town in Latium south of Rome, formerly a town of the Volsci, but 388 BC conquered by the Romans. The prows of their ships were brought to Rome for the Rostrum (speakerplace, named after these prows, Latin rostra pl.) on the Forum Romanum.
Later it was the home of many famous and rich Romans. Cicero has a house in Antium, Caligula and Nero were born in Antium. Many palaces stood there. Augustus live in Antium when the Senatus came to him to give him the title Pater Patriae. 1943 it was heavy destroyed by the unfortunate assault of the Allies in WWII. Q.Rustius came from Antium too.

Now Antium has together with Praeneste the most important Fortuna-cult. FORTVNA ANCIATIS, the Fortuna of Antium, was worshipped as two goddesses together, one with a helmet, the Fortuna Victrix, the other with a diadem, the Fortuna Felix.
According to some scholars, these two images of the goddess, which Martial used to call sorores or sisters, signified that each one of them had different functions and qualities: the first one was more feminine, the second one was more masculine and bellicose. The authoritative scholar J. Champeaux, authoress of a wide and very interesting essay on the goddess of Fortune in the ancient world, does not share this opinion. She believes instead that the two images belonging to a sole goddess might both be at the same time forms of an oracular patroness, a fertility goddess and a protectress of man during the diverse moments of his life. This dualism is characteristic of the religion and of the animistic beliefs of the Latin-Roman world which felt the need to point out two faces or two aspects of the same essence.
Moreover we know (from some of Horace’s odes) that the goddess was also in charge of the execution of two other important functions: to do with the cultivation of the land and to do with the sea. To the town of Antium the latter function is obviously predominant as is pointed out from the coins of Rustius and from the statue kept in Villa Spigarelli, where the “Fortuna” is holding the helm of a ship by her right hand.

The reverse shows an altar with FOR RE, short for FORTVNA REDVX or FORTVNAE REDVCI. That means Fortuna of the lucky return. In 19 BC Augustus came back from the orient and brought back the 53 standards from the Parthians, which were captured from Cassius at Carrhae.
This event was the last classical triumph in Rome. After that Augustus closed the lists of triumphes to show that he started a new peaceful century, the PAX AVGVSTA. To celebrate
the return from the orient the Senatus errected an altar of FORTVNA REDVX in Rome near the Porta Capuana. The altar on the reverse seems to show this altar.

So these coins were issued by Q. Rustius to celebrate the triumphant return of Augustus and at the same time to honour his hometown Antium.

Regards,
Jochen

Offline curtislclay

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2004, 08:48:37 pm »
Very interesting, Jochen!  I acquired a specimen of this coin some 40 years ago, but never noticed the helmet worn by the nearest Fortuna.
Nor the large bowl (?) on the altar, or the two posts at its back.
Surprising details emerge when you begin to examine coin types closely!
Curtis Clay

Offline Jochen

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2004, 08:31:11 pm »
Hi Curtis!

There are even more details to show: The Fortuna in the foreground has bare breasts, whereas the Fortuna in the background wears garment. Then you can see behind each of the ram's heads the silhouette of two more ram's heads. Therefore it can't be a bar below the busts but it must be a rectangular platform for the busts.

From CNG:
The ram appears on denarii of L. Rustius in 74 BC and is apparently a family crest. The statues probably representing a monument sponsored by the moneyer himself.

Regards,
Jochen

Offline Jochen

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2004, 07:48:23 am »
Hi!

Somedays before I get a mail from a friend, a Latin and Greek teacher out of duty, with additional information to FELIX and FORTVNA which I want to share (translated by me):

I am bothered for a long time by the poor identification of FELIX with the German 'glücklich' (English = happy), which should translated rather with the Latin BEATUS. In the formula PIVS FELIX (short PF) the simplistic translation by 'fromm and glücklich' (= pious and happy) makes no sense. The full content of this formula you get only by a much more expensive translation like this: ' whose behaviour is correct against the gods, the state and its laws, his parents, his ancestors and his fellow citizens (as he were a Confucianist!) and therefore (deservedly!) favoured by FORTVNA!'.
So between PIVS and FELIX there exist a causal connection! The Latin makes a difference between BEATVS and FELIX, between 'glücklich and glückhaft', like the English between HAPPY and LUCKY.

Another error it is to translate FORTVNA simply as goddess of happiness! Latin 'fors' is 'chance', 'forte' is 'by chance'!!! So FORTVNA on the contrary is the goddess of chance, the goddess of good luck and the goddess of bad(!) luck, or the goddess of the favourable fate and the goddess of the bad(!) fate.

Regards,
Jochen

Offline Jochen

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2004, 05:09:29 pm »
Hi!

Today I have added this coin to our theme gallery 'Historical Coins'. But because the place is too small there I will post it here in full length!

It is a denar of Marcus Aurelius from AD 175 with the inscription DE GERM:
Marcus Aurelius AD 161 - 180
AR - Denar, 3.25g, 18.8mm
Rome, Dec. 175 - Dec. 176
obv. M ANTONINVS AVG GERM SARM
head laureate, r.
rev. TRP XXX IMP VIII COS III PP
Pile of arms
in ex: DE GERM
RIC III, 338; RSC 154a
Scarce; VF(?)
added to www.wildwinds.com

And here the history behind the coin (mostly from www.roman-emperors.org and 'Der kleine Pauly'):
Early in 169, the Marcomanni and Quadi under the leadership of Ballomar crossed the Danube, penetrated the intervening provinces, and entered Italy. The culmination of their onslaught was a siege of Aquileia. The effect upon the inhabitants of the peninsula was frightful. This was the first invasion of Italy since the late second century B.C., when the Cimbri and Teutones had been separately crushed by Marius. Perhaps more vivid in the collective imagination was the sack of Rome by the Gauls in 387, when the city was saved only by the payment of ransom.
The two emperors hastened north, after a rapid mobilization of forces, which included the drafting of slaves, since the manpower potential of the empire had been so impaired by the consequences of the plague and the losses and troop commitments in the East.
Verus died while in the north; Marcus returned to Rome with the body and gave his brother full honors. He then turned north again and began his counterattacks against the barbarians. He did not know it at the time, but he was destined to spend most of his remaining years on the northern frontier. The only interlude was caused by revolt in the east.
We have no record of Marcus' ultimate intentions in these campaigns, yet the various stages were clear. First and foremost, the enemy had to be driven out of Italy and then into their own territory beyond the Danube. He strove to isolate the tribes and then defeat them individually, so that the ultimate manpower superiority of the empire and its greater skill in warfare and logistics could more easily be brought to bear. It was a successful strategy, as one tribe after another suffered defeat and reestablished ties with Rome. But it was a time-consuming and expensive operation, requiring the recruitment of two new legions, II Italica and III Italica, the construction of many new camps, such as the legionary fortress at Regensburg, with success accruing year by year. Not earlier than 172 the German danger was banned. Marcus conquered Moravia so dividing the Quadi from the Sarmati and defeated 173 and 174 the Quadi and the Marcomanni. His wife Faustina - everytime together with him - was made mater castrorum. 175 he started from Aquincum a general attack against the Sarmati and intended to create two new provinces, Marcomannia and Sarmatia, thereby eliminating the Hungarian Plain and the headwaters of the Elbe as staging areas for invasion, when the usurpation of Cassius Avidius forced him to go to the East.
After his return to Rome he celebrates the triumph over the Germans and Sarmati on 23 Nov. 176. Raetia and Noricum became roman provinces. If his son Commodus would have continued his father's campaigns against the Germans the Roman Empire would have been sure at the Northern frontiers for decades or longer!

This coin celebrates Marcus' success in the German campaigns.

Regards,
Jochen

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2004, 06:21:20 pm »
In the gallery, you can continue your description or history by using a comment.   I think that is better than posting here.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

All coins are guaranteed for eternity