Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Significance of the Bull on Kings of Paphlagonia Coin  (Read 314 times)

Online Virgil H

• Caesar
Significance of the Bull on Kings of Paphlagonia Coin
« on: May 01, 2023, 05:39:26 pm »
I just got this coin from the Kings of Paphlagonia, it as a facing bull on the obverse and a winged caduceus on the reverse. My wife wants a necklace made for it, and she really wants to know the meanings behind the images on the coin. I am assuming that the caduceus is in homage to Hermes and the bull is most likely an homage to Zeus. But, I am asking the experts here for your opinions on the bull, in particular. She wants to be able to talk intelligently about the coin if asked. She is a Taurus, which is one reason she was drawn to it. I am fine having a necklace made, even though that is not something I would normally do. This coin was not expensive, so that isn't an issue. Anyway, the significance of both the bull and caduceus would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Virgil

Offline Altamura

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Re: Significance of the Bull on Kings of Paphlagonia Coin
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2023, 02:31:23 am »
There is an article by Murat KARASALİHOĞLU, "Paphlagonia’da Zeus Kültü ve Boğa Bağlantısı" (The Cult of Zeus and the Bull Connection in Paphlagonia), Cedrus X (2022), pp. 165-190:
https://dergipark.org.tr/tr/download/article-file/1988471
It is in Turkish with an English summary, perhaps that helps.

Regards

Altamura

Offline Jan P

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2023, 04:15:41 am »
Nice, refreshing message, Virgil, and interesting too.
Surely even more appealing to everyone, with a picture of the coin of this topic, I thought.
I guess this is the type  :) ?

Online Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2023, 09:06:18 am »
Thanks Jan, that looks like the perfect article. also, I will put in the photo of mine, but yes it is same type as yours.

Thanks,
Virgil

Online Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2023, 09:16:40 am »
Also, just looked at the article and the English abstract is perfect, as well as the illustrations. Thank you again, this is just what I needed.

Virgil

Online Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2023, 09:18:53 am »
Also sorry, I meant to thank Altamura for the article.

Virgil

All coins are guaranteed for eternity