Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Coins with Domestic Dogs?  (Read 928 times)

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
Coins with Domestic Dogs?
« on: August 08, 2022, 08:18:33 pm »
The domestic dog is one of my favorite coin themes. I have a couple and, from what I can see, there aren't a ton of them out there. I invite anyone to post their coins that have dogs on them.

Here is my favorite one that I own.

C. Antestius. 146 BC. AR Denarius (19mm, 3.42 g, 3h). Rome mint. Helmeted head of Roma right; X (mark of value) below chin / The Dioscuri, each holding spear, on horseback riding right; below, dog running right, both forepaws raised. Crawford 219/1e; Sydenham 411; Antestia 1; RBW 939. Lightly toned, faint marks and deposits. VF.

Looking forward to seeing what you all have.

Virgil

Offline Curtis JJ

• Caesar
    • CONSERVATORI: Ancient Coins & Their Provenances
Re: Coins with Domestic Dogs?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2023, 12:41:30 am »
EDIT: Just noticed this topic was also in History & Archaeology [LINK] with many more replies, so I'll share my dogs there....

Dog coins should be a more popular topic! I have one of those cheerful Antestius dogs and really enjoy the type. I've also recently picked up some very interesting & relatively rare Greek ones (after the denarius, below).
Below, I've also pasted some of my notes on what RRC denarii reveal about Roman dogs:

Although hounds were popular on Greek coinage as well, Roman Republican denarii provide much more varied depictions of the breeds and contexts of dogs in their society. This issue from Moneyer C. Antestius is notable for illustrating what today might be described as a “lion cut,” popular for poodles and other water dogs. The dog itself is sometimes identified as a proto-poodle or water spaniel of some sort – a working dog. The “lion cut” is meant to permit buoyancy and warmth as the dog retrieved fowl from water. A similar breed may be portrayed on the denarius of L. Caesius, but in a distinctly domestic setting, hinting that, already in antiquity, canine coiffure may have been as much about fashion as function.

Here is a new-ish pair I'm excited about. Two AE from Epidauros in the Argolid, both ex-Maleatas Collection of Epidauros, the second one also ex-BCD Collection (sold to Maleatas in 1988), with collector tags. The photos are taken from the Nomos 25 auction listing:

Argolis, Epidauros AE Dichalkoi or Chalkoi (16mm, 2.29g, 5h & 14mm, 3.25g, 12h), late 3rd century BCE. Laureate head of Asclepius / Dog Lying right.
To me, the lower type shows a dog that's clearly more active -- I suspect it's doing a "play-bow"!

Dogs were considered healing animals by the Greeks, both physically (by licking wounds), and because they were companion animals of Asclepius, the main healing god. Pausanias claimed that dogs roamed the grounds of the famous Asclepeion at Epidauros (the most famous Temple of Asclepius in the Greek world). (Snakes were his other companion animals, but it seems they knew better than to let snakes bite them for healing purposes!)
“Collect the collectors…” John W Adams’ advice to J Orosz (Asylum 38, 2: p51)

Galleries https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=27154

Offline Pawel K

• Praetorian
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2023, 01:46:03 pm »
Nobody, neither here or in the another topic, have posted a wonderful example of early roman dog from the litra.

Offline Curtis JJ

• Caesar
    • CONSERVATORI: Ancient Coins & Their Provenances
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2023, 02:07:41 pm »
You're right, Pawel, good one! I don't think any in the other thread either: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=129542.0

Here's mine. I found it in an uncleaned lot maybe 15 years ago. I'm sure someone else could clean it successfully, but at the time I just didn't have the confidence to try a scalpel on a small coin with a delicate surface (Roma looks pretty good on the obverse, so the dog may be in good shape too, under the encrustations):
“Collect the collectors…” John W Adams’ advice to J Orosz (Asylum 38, 2: p51)

Galleries https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=27154

Offline Pawel K

• Praetorian
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2023, 02:17:25 pm »
Firstly I need to admit that you have a really good luck with finding this coin in a lot :)

And secondly I really understand you with this self-doubting. I would never try to clean any coin worth more than nothing.

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2023, 02:20:02 pm »
I don't think any cleaning would improve it. It isn't really "dirty."
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS