Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Evidence of Modern Dies  (Read 511 times)

Offline Din X

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Evidence of Modern Dies
« on: June 20, 2022, 03:26:02 am »
The standard condemnation argument for modern dies, wrong style, unpublished dies (no proven authentic coins known till then from these dies and no die links to proven authentic coins known), often pressed instead of struck, wrong weight, wrong planchet, many die links between all of them sometimes impossible die links, wrong die axis, same style but differnet emperors mints and times etc.

The die axis here seems to be wrong for the Roman Republic coins from him, the die axis looks regular 6 or 12 o´clock = 180 or 360 degrees as far as I can see but this coins were minted at irregular die axis so we should expect to see coins from such die in different die axis all between 10 and 360 degress.

I made a mistake in previous post about die axis there should be die axis Roman Empire  6 or 12 o´clock = 180 or 360 degrees   I corrected it.
The "  - " was wrong, it was somethig like routine to use - instead of "or" between  6   ( or correct not - ) 12 o´clock = 180  ( or correct not - )  360 degrees

I made a picture how to determine die axis from pictures.
This is not always possible but if you have orientation points/marks it can be done correct.
On slabbed coins you can determine die axis too, because you can see how the obverse die stands to the reverse die, the slab is the orientation point.

Orientation points can be:

1. Edge crack that is strong and visible on both sides (red)
2. hole if coin was plugged (violet)
3. casting sprue (yellow)
4. test cut or nick that goes through edge and is visible on both sides (pink)
5. if part of coin/planchet broke away due to crystallisation (blue)
6. a very specific and individual flan shape (green)

That these things are mirrored on reverse is clear I hope.

An bottom picture shows a Becker fake with die axis 360 degrees, which you can easily see on pictures.
I own this Becker fake and so of course I checked the results in hand too and in hand die axis was as I saw on pictures 360 degress.
My wife was able to determine die axis of Becker fake correct on pictures so it can be done by others.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity