Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: A remarkable and completely unexpected new type of Ptolemaic bronze coin  (Read 1369 times)

Offline PtolemAE

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • PtolemyBronze.com
    • The PtolemAE Project - Ptolemaic Bronzes
It is seldom that a completely new type of Ptolemaic bronze coin comes to light. Here is one that appears to be the first Ptolemy/Libya type issue of Cyrene with the usual inscription (BASILEOS PTOLEMAIOY) on the Libya side but also, remarkably, a different inscription on the obverse (Ptolemy) side as well. What's more, the part of the obverse inscription that is visible almost certainly says BASILIS(SHS) (OF QUEEN...). That inscription is seen on an enigmatic series of (mostly rare) coins issued at Alexandria currently thought to refer to Kleopatra II. The exact dating of that small group of scarce Alexandria coins has been problematic. You can see that series on the PtolemyBronze.com web site of course and compare the inscriptions. This coin is, for now, the sole example of its type. Its appearance was completely unexpected. As it is certainly an issue of Cyrene there is a good chance it may help to date the Alexandria 'obverse inscription' series. A plausible hypothesis is that the obverse inscription was applied to some coins at Cyrene and at Alexandria for a brief period to honor Kleopatra II, some time in the 160s BC. This is the first coin that indicates special issues honoring the queen, with identical obverse inscriptions, were produced at both Alexandria and Cyrene mints.

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
Re: A remarkable and completely unexpected new type of Ptolemaic bronze coin
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2022, 10:39:50 pm »
Very interesting!

Offline Arados

• Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Fantastic, it´s always a special moment when a new coin type is discovered.

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • Meepzorp's Ancient Coins
Hi PAE,

That's an interesting and unique coin! :)

Meepzorp

Offline PtolemAE

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • PtolemyBronze.com
Very interesting!

Pretty surprising after watching umpteen thousands of Ptolemaic bronze coins float by. I hope there are others as yet unnoticed that this find will bring to light. But so far I'm unaware of any in museum collections or reference books or sale records. This little piece of incontrovertible evidence isn't exactly in fantastic condition - but it conveys a previously unheard message from the past loud and clear.

PtolemAE

Offline PtolemAE

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • PtolemyBronze.com
Quote from: Meepzorp on March 01, 2022, 06:26:16 am
Hi PAE,

That's an interesting and unique coin! :)

Meepzorp

Thanks. It is unique as far as I know but I hope it's not and that others will come to light.

PtolemAE

Offline PtolemAE

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • PtolemyBronze.com
Fantastic, it´s always a special moment when a new coin type is discovered.

Thanks. This one isn't just some minor variant or new control symbol. It says something interesting we had no way of knowing until it appeared.

PtolemAE

Offline cicerokid

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar

Hi Ptolamae,

That's real numismatics. It's not a beauty. But enough to leave very little if any doubt.
Anything that hopefully, can put a series in it's place is welcome. And then one thing can lead to another....
So many coin collectors are just that, not researchers. It is not at all in my research area, but I can understand you perfectly.
What does Ms Lorber say. And Andy Meadows?
Ptolemaic coin research is so much harder to do than the highly despised NewStyle, where I hope something comparable will happen to me.
At least you have Lorber,Hoover and Meadows!

Jolly well-done.

John
Timeo Danaos afferentem coronas

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
Interesting! Thanks for posting it here!
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline PtolemAE

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • PtolemyBronze.com
Interesting! Thanks for posting it here!

Thank you, Joe. Keep your eyes open for more of these :)

PtolemAE

Offline PtolemAE

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • PtolemyBronze.com

Hi Ptolamae,

That's real numismatics. It's not a beauty. But enough to leave very little if any doubt.
Anything that hopefully, can put a series in it's place is welcome. And then one thing can lead to another....
So many coin collectors are just that, not researchers. It is not at all in my research area, but I can understand you perfectly.
What does Ms Lorber say. And Andy Meadows?
Ptolemaic coin research is so much harder to do than the highly despised NewStyle, where I hope something comparable will happen to me.
At least you have Lorber,Hoover and Meadows!

Jolly well-done.

John

Thank you.

Ancient numismatics is *cool*.

Thank you, John. Motivations for collecting and studying ancient coins vary a lot. Plenty are hooked on history and the stories only coins can tell. There's also lots of emphasis on 'eye appeal' and 'grade', as if collecting ancient coins was like collecting graded Mercury dimes. Stands to reason for those who have to see collections as investment. There are no Mercury dimes of any grade that tell this kind of story, but to some collectors this coin's condition would mean it isn't even worth a look. It's clearly an ugly duckling. Of course it's always a joy to find a really beautiful specimen of an ancient type you like. The ones that are unique or convey new numismatic information are sometimes beautifully preserved but more often not so much. Spending more time on study and publications the last few years I nevertheless keep my eyes open for anything that is this strange. This coin would exist all the same had it landed, its message unnoticed, in other hands but it's nice have enough background to 'read' the coin. In this case, its dodgy condition helped; it wasn't quickly snapped up by an avid 'high-grade-only' collector :)

I've shared photos and info about this coin with several of the real scholars in the field.

I thought everyone loves New Style Athens coins.

PtolemAE

Offline djmacdo

• Tribunus Plebis 2017
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
Congratulations on a epic find--one that almost all collectors would have passed over without recognizing its character.

Offline PtolemAE

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • PtolemyBronze.com
Congratulations on a epic find--one that almost all collectors would have passed over without recognizing its character.

Thanks, Mac. Interesting to see something new every once in a while.

PtolemAE

All coins are guaranteed for eternity