Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: A New Imitation.  (Read 1060 times)

Offline Simon

• Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Tetartera Collector
    • Byzantine Tetartera
A New Imitation.
« on: December 02, 2021, 07:10:03 pm »
I won this coin last Sunday and I have the coin in hand now The details match a normal issue of Manuel I Comnenus SBCV-1976 , who had a long rule and whose coinage is abundant. When I say the details I mean everything but the reverse, this coin has NI KA added to the cross.

Now imitations are normally crude, you can find errors in the clothing and the details are in a much cruder fashion, this one some one put a lot of time and effort to creating it, the die is worn and the coin was not well struck, however, it is superior to most of the imitation tetartera that were created.

Imitation tetartera exists mostly of Alexius tetartera and Manuel tetartera, not the other rulers, both had long reigns, also evidence shows the imitation tetartera were created long after the reigns of these emperors and in the beginning of the 13th century.

Jilian bakers book lists many imitation tetartera but no SBCV-1976 imitation.

Advice and or opinions are appreciated, have you seen this type before?  19mm 2.85gm
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=5633 My main collection of Tetartera. Post reform coinage.

Offline Akropolis

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Akropolis Ancient Coins
Re: A New Imitation.
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2021, 10:54:03 pm »
I have two SBCV 1976s, neither of which have NI-KA
Nice find.
PeteB

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2021, 07:42:38 am »
Nice.  Interesting that the N of NIKA is retrograde.

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Simon

• Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Tetartera Collector
    • Byzantine Tetartera
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2022, 09:19:10 pm »
After more study, I think it is an imitation, but the obverse was influenced by an Alexius coin, it had some similarities, a cross on three steps IC XC and NI KA bellow. SBCV-1903 however that coin instead of the emperor it had Christ.

Even though I sway that way  to it being an imitation the coin does not really fit into that category, its weight is not the weight of an imitation, the emperors garb has no flaws. However as already pointed out the N is retrograde changing the letter.

I am considering to sending it to David Sear for another opinion.
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=5633 My main collection of Tetartera. Post reform coinage.

Offline Obryzum

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2022, 06:26:14 pm »
Interesting reverse!

All coins are guaranteed for eternity