Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Unknown Gallienus (from Ephesus?)  (Read 902 times)

Offline Thilo

• Consul
Unknown Gallienus (from Ephesus?)
« on: April 18, 2021, 04:10:29 pm »
Good evening,

lately this Gallienus crossed my way:

28.64 * 30.82 mm; 14.04 g.

obv.: AYT K PO LIKIN GALLIHNOS, laureate and cuirassed bust left, drapery on left shoulder; unclear counterstamp: either some person riding a horse or a G*

rv.: NAO[...]NE[...]WN, in ex: EFES[...], Artemis Ephesia in hexastyle temple.

The obverse die seems to be identical or at least very similar to Karbach 1128, however, I could not find a fitting reverse for Gallienus in Ephesus. Also the reverse legend seems strange as the first letter is clearly an N and the second clearly an A, so NEWKORWN or NEOKORWN is not a possible, however, the third letter seems to be an O.

In Karbach, there are no temple reverse coins for Gallienus, thus I could not find anything there.

I also considered Eumeneia instead of Ephesus, however, this does not work with the obverse legend and the actual obverse die.

Therefore, another riddle - and any help is appreciated, as usual.

Thank you!

Thilo

Offline esnible

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • gorgon coins
Re: Unknown Gallienus (from Ephesus?)
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2021, 05:33:52 pm »

Offline Thilo

• Consul
Re: Unknown Gallienus (from Ephesus?)
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2021, 03:27:13 am »
Dear esnible,

thank you for having a look.

I also had considered Eumeneia and there exists even a hexastyle Artemis Ephesia without central arch. However, this works even less with regards to the obverse die, also any indication of Ephesus in the reverse legend (in the ex. in my coin) is missing in the Eumeneia pieces to my knowledge.

Thank you, once more!

Thilo

All coins are guaranteed for eternity