Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Eye of Horus  (Read 1320 times)

maximinvs

Eye of Horus
« on: September 28, 2020, 11:39:03 am »
Hi everyone,
I was hoping someone who knows a lot more than I do about faience and Egyptian antiquities could tell me if this Eye of Horus amulet is authentic or otherwise.

Thanks,
Ian

Offline cmcdon0923

• Caesar
Re: Eye of Horus
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2020, 05:30:48 pm »
While I am certainly no expert, I do own several faience antiquities, and my opinion is that it's more than likely authentic.

Craig

maximinvs

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2020, 06:38:59 am »
Thanks for that Craig.
Regards,
Ian

Offline Russ

• Consul
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2020, 03:03:35 am »
Just some observations... I've seen many, many utchats and this is the first one with the suspension hole in this direction. The detailing is the same on both sides; thus, it can be used as an eye of Horus or an eye of Ra. The faience is reticulated (open work), usually a sign of quality. From the remaining color of the glaze, I would say probably Third Intermediate Period or Later. If you were adventurous, like me, I would soak it overnight in Efferdent, the denture cleaner, it may remove most of the calcium (?) deposits on it.
Russ

maximinvs

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2020, 08:39:10 am »
Thanks Russ, that is great information.
Cheers,
Ian

All coins are guaranteed for eternity