Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Assistance Required with a Couple of Alexander-type Tetradrachms  (Read 1188 times)

Offline OldMoney

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • My Site! www.oldmoney.com.au
    • Walter Holt's Old Money
Having done a lot of searching for something similar, I thought I'd put this pair to the group for your opinions and assistance.

This die-matched pair are clearly what may be termed Barbarous/Celtic/Eastern/etc., but I cannot find a direct prototype or comparative example. Nor can I find a more positive attribution for them, except that they are 'unofficial' Alexanders.

Both show a stylised Head of Herakles on the obverse, and the standard Zeus enthroned holding eagle and sceptre on the reverse. Weights: 16.49g (upper), 16.54g (lower). Both share the same field symbol, a reversed Sigma (Σ), and a fairly accurate rendering of the name 'Alexander' (AΛEΞANΔΡOΥ).

Whether these are Danubian, Eastern Celts, Arabian, or from some other origin has so far escaped my searching, including a number of publications, and various online resources such as acsearch, wildwinds, the 'Pella' database, and various other auction, sales and museum sites.

I expect there is another coin out there with this same obverse die, but in spite of finding a few that are close I am yet to find a match.

Can you help with any part of this search?
Die(s)? Origin? Reference? Prototype? . . . Thoughts?

- Walter
Coins of Ephesus
https://groups.yahoo.com/group/ephesuscoins
Walter Holt's Old Money - Ancient Coins
https://www.oldmoney.com.au
Sydney, Australia

Offline djmacdo

• Tribunus Plebis 2017
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
Re: Assistance Required with a Couple of Alexander-type Tetradrachms
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2019, 08:52:44 pm »
Weights?  I think both may be Celtic imitations from the Balkans.

Offline Altamura

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2019, 03:45:34 am »
... Weights?  ...
Is indicated above ("16.49g (upper), 16.54g (lower)")  ;).

For these contemporary imitations you don't always find an exactly matching prototype. Even in the Price itself there are listed some under the headline "uncertain prototypes"  :-\.

There is a huge number of these imitations in many many variations. And up to now there seems to be no comprehensive study about them  :(.

Regards

Altamura

Offline djmacdo

• Tribunus Plebis 2017
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2019, 07:57:41 am »
My apologies--I completely missed the weights when I read you post too hastily.

Mac

Offline OldMoney

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • My Site! www.oldmoney.com.au
    • Walter Holt's Old Money
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2019, 01:09:21 pm »
Hi Mac,
I have done the same thing myself too many times to count - I am sure we all have!
I keep looking at Danubian examples which have similar scrunched-up facial features
but cannot be certain because of similarity alone.
It may be that there is no 'prototype' as such, and this is a stand-alone variant of the
imitation. Still, it would be nice to find a die-match, but until that happens I will wait,
and see what comes up at the next auction/catalogue/post/find/etc.
Best wishes,

- Walter
Coins of Ephesus
https://groups.yahoo.com/group/ephesuscoins
Walter Holt's Old Money - Ancient Coins
https://www.oldmoney.com.au
Sydney, Australia

Offline djmacdo

• Tribunus Plebis 2017
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2019, 06:00:34 pm »
Walter,

It seems to me that I have the same of similar reverse with the big sigma in the field, but I cannot remember or find where.  If these are initiations as I believe they are, they must be early as they are quite good.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity