Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Augustus denarius from moneyer L. Mescinius Rufus  (Read 1480 times)

Offline TIF

• Consul
Augustus denarius from moneyer L. Mescinius Rufus
« on: November 14, 2018, 11:34:24 pm »
I am posting this on behalf of another FAC member who had technical difficulties attaching the image.  He will follow the thread and answer any questions you may have.

-TIF

I acquired this denarius of Augustus at my local coin club recently. The member primarily deals in US and modern foreign coins but I always ask at any show if the dealer has any ancients and this time he had some. They were not attributed. This one stood out due to its facing portrait. I didn't immediately know what it was but it seemed familiar and later I found the attribution.

I realize it is an extremely rare coin and have scrutinized it for signs of fakery and have found none. The flan and metal appear as expected for the age; the patina is believable, and I see no signs of casting. The weight is correct and it appears to be a die match to other known specimens. I'm not an expert, but as far as I can tell it seems authentic. What an unbelievable find! If you feel I'm wrong in thinking it is authentic, I'd love to know.

Augustus
AR denarius, 16 BC, 3.8 gm
Moneyer L. Mescinius Rufus
Obv: [S COB R P CVM SALVT IMP CAESAR AVG VS CONS] Facing head, slightly turned to r. on roundel within laurel wreath
Rev: L MESCINIVS RVFVS III VIR; Mars, naked but for helmet, holding spear and parazonium; standing on pedestal inscribed [S P Q R V P / S PR S ET / RED AVG. C]
Ref: RIC 356

Offline Dominic T

• Caesar
Re: Augustus denarius from moneyer L. Mescinius Rufus
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2018, 07:01:22 am »
Very nice coin. And in interesting description on AC Search :A wholly new approach to the coinage of Augustus. The engraver attempted to realize a magnificent portrayal in a fashion that was wholly unknown for Roman coinage, with a few exceptions in the Republic (the Medusa head of L. Plautius Plancus, Cr. 453/1). One is tempted to believe that the engraver had Greek coins as models, but the simple, austere style may be the product of one artisan’s imagination. Regretfully, too little room was left on most planchets to strike the dies fully and give an accurate display of this brave attempt.
DT

Offline Kevin M

• Praetorian
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2018, 08:06:46 pm »
Thanks. I found out that this scarce Augustus denarius is featured in Harlan Berk's book, the 100 Greatest Ancient coins and its image also appears in EIRIC's listing of the obverses of Augustus denarii as number 1. Apparently the idea of a 3/4 facing bust was too hard to work with but readers familiar with late Imperial solidi know that the design became a popular one.

Offline Kevin M

• Praetorian
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2018, 08:11:57 pm »
Also a hearty thanks to TIF for helping me navigate a forum I am really not used to.

Offline Dominic T

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2018, 09:33:41 pm »
Maybe this 2012 topic will interest you….
www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=80291.0
DT

Offline Kevin M

• Praetorian
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2018, 10:23:09 pm »
It certainly does. The article you cited from FAC is an absolute gold mine of information on frontal facing coins. I have a Rhodian didrachma where Helios looks like he just emerged from a boxing match. On my denarius of Augustus only a small portion of the legend seem to have made it onto the flan but now I can understand why. One simply could not get much of an inscription onto a coin of that size. One statement from that reposting made me wonder, where the cross banker's mark on the Augustus denarius is said to be of medieval origin. Were Roman coins still encountered and used as currency (or bullion) in medieval Christendom? Thanks for that information.

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2018, 12:03:57 am »
It's a great coin Kevin.  I know from the other thread TIF has die matched it to other known coins, is the consensus that its real or are you planning on sending it out?  It's a fantastic find.

Offline TIF

• Consul
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2018, 04:39:45 am »
Dominic, thanks for the link.  That was an interesting thread!  One omission from it which is a favorite of mine is the Republic denarius of moneyer Mussidius Longus featuring the facing head of Sol.

Relative to the coin shown in this thread, now that I've read the other thread I can better appreciate the innovative approach this engraver used to provide higher relief for the portrait while mitigating the problem of wear:  the facing portrait is carved within a deeper "bowl".  Neato!

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • Meepzorp's Ancient Coins
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2018, 04:59:10 am »
Hi KM,

Nice coin. :)

Meepzorp

Offline Dominic T

• Caesar
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2018, 07:42:26 am »
I also discovered that a FOURRÉE of this type has been sold a few years ago.
https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=1337320
DT

Offline Kevin M

• Praetorian
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2018, 08:18:36 am »
It's a great coin Kevin.  I know from the other thread TIF has die matched it to other known coins, is the consensus that its real or are you planning on sending it out?  It's a fantastic find.
Thanks. I don't know about keeping it or not. The more I learn about it, the more I see a place for it in my otherwise modest collection. I might need a larger safety deposit box.

Offline Kevin M

• Praetorian
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2018, 08:21:05 am »
Quote from: Meepzorp on November 16, 2018, 04:59:10 am
Hi KM,

Nice coin. :)

Meepzorp
Thanks. it is that and it has opened up a new interest for me with respect to the denarii of Augustus, previously just a minor interest for me.

Offline Kevin M

• Praetorian
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2018, 08:27:55 am »
I also discovered that a FOURRÉE of this type has been sold a few years ago.
https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=1337320
DT

Yes, thank you for that link. On another site a poster had sent a slightly different link of the same coin. I was surprised that a fourree im that condition was eminently marketable.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity